This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2012 11:20 AM by 975768 Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Oracle 11g Enterprise edition listener can't get started
    sb92075 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Best Wishes to you in solving this mystery.
  • 31. Re: Oracle 11g Enterprise edition listener can't get started
    EdStevens Guru
    972765 wrote:
    Have you actually confirmed that both OS Service for the DB & Listener have been started & are running?

yes,db is running,but no matter how hard I try,I can't start listener.It seems that the windows cannot find the file OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener.
    That's because there is no file "OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener", and there isn't supposed to be one. But you keep using the wrong command in the wrong way, so the OS goes off looking for one. First you tried "start OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener" from a sqlplus prompt, which told sqlplus to locate a file named "OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener.sql" and execute the sqlplus commands and sql statements contained in it. Then when you realized that mistake you tried the same command from an OS command prompt. The OS command processor is only going to process OS commands. So what does the OS command "start" do? (I leave the answer as a google exercise for the student).

To start the listener
    1) from the services control panel, locate the listener service. Looks like it is probably named "OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener".
    2) from the services control panel, start the listener service.
    That should be enough to start the listener. If it doesn't, no 'lsnrctl start" command is going to be of any value, and you have to start diagnosing at this point. You could try an OS command "net start OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener", but that is really just what the services control panel is doing for you. (And now that I have mentioned to you the OS command "net start" I fully expect the student to look that up to see what it does.)

But overriding all of the above, if you are running on a "home" edition of windows, you are using an OS that Oracle specifically says they DO NOT SUPPORT.
  • 32. Re: Oracle 11g Enterprise edition listener can't get started
    975768 Newbie
    Thanks to all of you.English is not my native language,I might have misunderstanding and didn't express myself clearly, plus I just started learning Oracle a few weeks ago,in this stage of scenario,I am confused with too many things.I never had any computer experience,please forgive me if I offend anyone.(I didn't mean it).

After I run as adminstrator with cmd,I got info like:

C:\Windows\system32> net start oracleoradb11g_home1tnslistener
    The OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener service is starting.
    The OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener service could not be started.
    The service did not report an error.
    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

I googled,I felt like I have a registry key problem.I have heard that it is not easy to solve a registry key problem.
    Another issue is if my os edition is not supported by Oracle,no matter what I do,it is a waste of time.Any suggestions?should I just give up and move on?
    Thanks to all of you again,I really appreciated.
  • 33. Re: Oracle 11g Enterprise edition listener can't get started
    EdStevens Guru
    972765 wrote:
    Thanks to all of you.English is not my native language,I might have misunderstanding and didn't express myself clearly, plus I just started learning Oracle a few weeks ago,in this stage of scenario,I am confused with too many things.I never had any computer experience,please forgive me if I offend anyone.(I didn't mean it).

The OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener service is starting.
    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

I googled,I felt like I have a registry key problem.I have heard that it is not easy to solve a registry key problem.
    Another issue is if my os edition is not supported by Oracle,no matter what I do,it is a waste of time.Any suggestions?should I just give up and move on?
    Just don't run Oracle on an unsupported OS. That does NOT mean you need to give up on your current computer/OS.

Download and install VirtualBox. It's free from Oracle. It allows you to create virtual machines on your existing computer.
    Download Oracle Linux 5.latest. (I know v6 is out an supported, but there still seem to be some 'gotchas' with it, so I'd stick to the more proven v5).
    Useing the above two, create a virtual server running Linux. You will have to learn a few things about networking and systems admin, but that is a good thing for your career.
    Once you have created a virtual Linux server, you now have a machine with a supported OS. Download the appropriate Oracle installation and proceed.

Thanks to all of you again,I really appreciated.
  • 34. Re: Oracle 11g Enterprise edition listener can't get started
    975768 Newbie
    Thank you Edstevens.I didn't mean to give up my PC,I meant to be concentrating on my study and running script through cmd.Actually I feel Oracle is such a fascinating world,it is so interesting.I learned so many details in last a few days.Thank you for mentioning about virtual machine,I was thinking of that too.I believe using virtual machine is part of content of our classes,so I have to do it anyway.Thank you,I appreciated.
  • 35. Re: Oracle 11g Enterprise edition listener can't get started
    orafad Oracle ACE
    972765 wrote:

That's great. Now, in another "admin's cmd", run

lsnrctl start

Running these command line commands, over GUI alternatives, is to catch any reponses and allowing for text output to copy-paste to forum.

The service startup event may also have recorded some additional info in the Windows event log, available via Event Viewer (Windows Logs).

What user (Log on as) is the service installed with?

Do you have anything else on this machine that could interfer with service startup? (E.g. firewall or antivirus/antimalware.)

I googled,I felt like I have a registry key problem.
    How come?
    Based on posted info so far, I think, we haven't established the problem yet (only a symptom or two).
  • 36. Re: Oracle 11g Enterprise edition listener can't get started
    975768 Newbie
    Hi Orafad,thank you so much.I am so exicted,so I have to let everyone know that I fixed my problem.Although I checked my listener configuration teens of times and I exactly followed the example that the mentor gave me,and the listener was working well before I had this post,unexpectedly the problem was still with the listener configuration.I found a post from googling that other people had exactly the same problem as I did,I followed the example there to reconfigure the listener,got rid of
    " (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = C:\app\myname\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    (ENVS = "EXTPROC_DLLS=ONLY:C:\app\myname\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\oraclr11.dll")"
    only let
    SID_LIST_LISTENER=
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC=
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME=orcl)
    (ORACLE_HOME = C:\app\myname\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1)
    (SID_NAME=orcl)
    )
    )
    This solved my problem magically.

Dear Orafad,I did check the event log,I found many errors which was saying "1 user registry handles leaked from blablaa..."that's why I was suspecting I had registry key problem.
    And I checked my firewall and shut down the firewall,that didn't fix my problem;I also installed the loopback adaptor and configured it,that didn't solve my problem either.
    So I went through a big detour to solve the problem,it took some time,but as a brand newbie of learning database,I learned some troubleshooting knowledge and dare to touch the area in my computer that I never dared to touch before,I became braver in the last few days.I also have better understanding about cmd.I am so grateful for everyone's post,help and patience.

Again,I have a happy ending now, many many thanks to each of you.I really appreciated.Thank you!

Edited by: 972765 on Nov 25, 2012 11:08 AM
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points