4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 9:16 AM by Vivek Sharma-Mumbai-Oracle RSS

Performance Issue Troubleshooting

Hi All,

My environment is 7Node RAC, Linux Enterprise with Oracle Database version 10.2.0.5. with OEM GRID CONTROL.

Many a times we have performance issues like some activity from application is running very slow or took more time to complete than usual.

Could you all please let me know what all things I need to check from database end and os level in order to diagnose the problem for slowness.

Would really appreciate if some one please give me the SQLs or scripts to run and how to dig into the issue (performance slowness)

Also how to monitor Performance from OEM GRID CONTROL as well.

Thanks All.

Regards,
      Abdul Mannan
        • 1. Re: Performance Issue Troubleshooting
          Levi Pereira
          My environment is 7Node RAC, Linux Enterprise with Oracle Database version 10.2.0.5. with OEM GRID CONTROL.
          Also how to monitor Performance from OEM GRID CONTROL as well.
          Could you all please let me know what all things I need to check from database end and os level in order to diagnose the problem for slowness.
          It scares.
          Are you managing 7 RAC nodes and you don't know how to perform troubleshooting?? Or even how start it?

You need a Consultant Service.

Or you need start with this:
          http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=609&p_org_id=378219&lang=PTB&get_params=dc:D60491GC20,p_preview:N

Topic 4: RAC DB Monitoring and Tuning
          Objectives
          *Determine RAC-specific tuning components
          * Determine RAC-specific wait events, global enqueues, and system statistics
          * Implement the most common RAC tuning tips
          * Use the Cluster Database Performance pages
          * Use the Automatic Workload Repository (AWR) in RAC
          * Use Automatic Database Diagnostic Monitor (ADDM) in RAC

What can I do for you is to suggest this note (I don't know if it will help you)
          Oracle Performance Diagnostic Guide (OPDG) [ID 390374.1]
          • 2. Re: Performance Issue Troubleshooting
            Hi Levi,

Thanks for the reply, as for your information we have a separate performance analysis team, it is just that I want to learn Performance Tuning as I have not worked in such environment before. I an quite naive as far as tuning is concerned. So would appreciate if I could get some more help in learning the same.

Thanks,
            Abdul
            • 3. Re: Performance Issue Troubleshooting
              Billy~Verreynne
              You need to start with Oracle® Database Performance Tuning Guide.

Pay special attention in how to deal with performance issues:
              - do not mistake symptoms as the actual performance problem
              - ALWAYS identify the actual problem first (before doing ANYTHING else!)

One can only solve a problem, if one knows what the problem is. And the quality and sustainability of a performance solution depends on the accuracy and quality of the definition of the performance problem.

And no - there are no magic wands and script potions that will tell you what the actual problem is.
              • 4. Re: Performance Issue Troubleshooting
                Vivek Sharma-Mumbai-Oracle
                Hi Abdul,

Since you already know that some of the activities are slow, generating a 10046 trace of these activities should give you some of the pointers. Also, what is the performance of these activities during non-peak load. This is also very important. As Billy mentioned, Performance tuning guide would be a very good starting point.

Regards
                Vivek

Edited by: Vivek Sharma on Nov 27, 2012 8:45 PM