This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2012 5:44 AM by 749763 RSS

How to Power Off SAN(6140)

749763 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dears,

Hope you all are great, Our company consist of Oracle Sun Infrastructure which includes M4000 servers for production instance, M3000 servers for test instance, SL48 Tape library for backups, Broacade 300 switches, SAN Storage 6140 Array 2TB RAW Capacity.

Issue:- We are in schedule to perform the task of upgrading SL48 Tape Library firmware, which require shutdown of Oracle Sun Infrastructure including **SAN Storage 6140 Array 2TB RAW Capacity** this activity requires 120 minutes down time approximately.

power down sequence *(I will follow this sequence however am not sure, you may suggest or correct me on this)*
==================================================================

STOP ALL APPLICATIONS
-----------------------------------
1,Stop Oracle DB and Oracle Applicaiton on both Test(M3000) and Production(M4000) Servers. (15 mins task)
2,Stop Cluster services on M4000 and M3000 clustered servers. (10 mins task)

DISCONNECT or take OFFLINE any other computers sharing the same I/O bus as the host
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3,Shutdown M3000 and M4000 server via XSCF console. (20 mins task)
*4,Shutting down SAN Storage 6140. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(Am not sure how to power off SAN)* ( Approx 10 mins task)
5,Stop all current backups in Tape Library if active. (5 mins)

UPGRADE the tape library
----------------------------------
6, start upgrading Firmware (60 mins tasks)

Power up sequence *(I will follow this sequence however am not sure, you may suggest or correct me on this)*
================================================================
1, Start SAN Storage 6140. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(Am not sure how to power up SAN)* ( Approx 10 mins task)

CONNECT or take ONLINE any other computers sharing the same I/O bus as the host
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2, Startup M3000 and M4000 server via XSCF console. (20 mins task)
3, Tape Library already On with latest Firmware upgrade.

START ALL APPLICATIONS
-------------------------------------
4, Start Cluster services on M4000 and M3000 clustered servers. (10 mins task)
5, Start Oracle DB and Oracle Applications on both Test(M3000) and Production(M4000) Servers. (15 mins task)

To summarize, I want to know the procedure of powering off/on the SAN and what should be the sequence in order to shut/start oracle Infrastructure?+

Regards,
Mohammed Yaazdani
  • 1. Re: How to Power Off SAN(6140)
    Nicolas Wipfli - Oracle Expert
    Hello,

The power OFF/ON sequences are similar as for most of the other disk arrays.

Power OFF:
    1. Stop all the IO.
    2. I would recommend to wait 1 min to ensure that the cache is flushed to the drives.
    3. Power OFF the controller tray (the tray that includes the RAID controllers).
    4. Power OFF the expansion tray(s) (if any).

Power ON:
    1. Power ON the expansion tray(s) (if any).
    2. Wait 1 min.
    3. Power ON the controller tray.
    4. Wait 2 min.
    5. Resume the IO once you confirm that the LUNs are visible on the servers.

Regards
    Nicolas
  • 2. Re: How to Power Off SAN(6140)
    749763 Newbie
    Hi,

Thanks for your instant reply, I appreciate your time.

From management console(CAM) i dont see an option to power on/off SAN. However I do see power switch button on * Controller A* and * Controller B* backside of SAN. Do I have to press that switch/button to power off/on the SAN?

Note:- We don't have expansion tray

Thanks
    Mohammed Yaazdani

Edited by: user9007339 on 25/11/2012 05:10 ص
  • 3. Re: How to Power Off SAN(6140)
    Nicolas Wipfli - Oracle Expert
    user9007339 wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks for your instant reply, I appreciate your time.

From management console(CAM) i dont see an option to power on/off SAN. However I do see power switch button on * Controller A* and * Controller B* backside of SAN. Do I have to press that switch/button to power off/on the SAN?
    Yes, you need to use these switches.
    CAM cannot power OFF/ON the arrays.

Nicolas
    Note:- We don't have expansion tray

Thanks
    Mohammed Yaazdani

Edited by: user9007339 on 25/11/2012 05:10 ص
  • 4. Re: How to Power Off SAN(6140)
    749763 Newbie
    Thank You once again, You answered question, I wish you best of luck and success.

Regards,
    Mohammed Yaazdani

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points