This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2012 2:25 AM by BillyVerreynne RSS

error ora-03113

648662 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

i have database 11g r2 installed on windows server 2008

when i try to connect to my databse from my laptop by
sqlplus release 3.3.2.0.2 it's give me error

ora-03113: end-of-file on communication channel


and when i try ti connect by sqlplus release 8.0.6.0.0 it's connected

pls your help
  • 1. Re: error ora-03113
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Currently Being Moderated
    wesam2008 wrote:
    Hi

    i have database 11g r2 installed on windows server 2008

    when i try to connect to my databse from my laptop by
    sqlplus release 3.3.2.0.2 it's give me error
    Seriously, you've got a version of sqlplus that is that old?
    If you're connecting to 11g databases, ensure you have 11g client software installed, otherwise SQL*Plus will not recognise all the latest syntax.
    ora-03113: end-of-file on communication channel


    and when i try ti connect by sqlplus release 8.0.6.0.0 it's connected
    Still that's a very old version to be using with 11g databases. Install the 11g client software.
  • 2. Re: error ora-03113
    648662 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dear

    I had installed 11G , but still a cann't use slqplus release 3.3.2.0.2
  • 3. Re: error ora-03113
    theoa Pro
    Currently Being Moderated
    Why would you want to use a sql*plus version that is about 15 years old?
  • 4. Re: error ora-03113
    648662 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    because we are using application developed by developer/2000
  • 5. Re: error ora-03113
    theoa Pro
    Currently Being Moderated
    wesam2008 wrote:
    because we are using application developed by developer/2000
    :)
    Have you tried your application with a more recent sql*plus version (preferably one that matches your database, 11g)?
    Does your application really need sql*plus?

    Developer/2000, what is its version, Forms 4.5 or something? Ancient. Mid-90s if I remember correctly.
    I have a hard time imagining that it is supported on a 11g databa
  • 6. Re: error ora-03113
    648662 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    i mean if i can connect sql with 11g thats mean i can use applications with 11g db
    i'm using forms 4.5 and reports 2.5
  • 7. Re: error ora-03113
    AlbertoFaenza Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi Wesam,

    BluShadow and theoa have already explained clearly: if your database is 11g you need to connect to database with the same client version.
    SQLPlus must be from Oracle 11g client.

    Oracle does not grant that old oracle clients work with current release.

    Regards.
    Al

    Edited by: Alberto Faenza on Nov 28, 2012 10:36 AM
  • 8. Re: error ora-03113
    648662 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dear
    I've had my question I can make a connection to the 11g db with release 8.0.6.0.0 which it's coming with 6i package and it's old version also
    and also my version working propaly with db 10g r2


    for that is not true that Oracle does not grant that old oracle clients work with current release.

    regards
  • 9. Re: error ora-03113
    Paul Horth Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    wesam2008 wrote:
    Dear
    I've had my question I can make a connection to the 11g db with release 8.0.6.0.0 which it's coming with 6i package and it's old version also
    and also my version working propaly with db 10g r2


    for that is not true that Oracle does not grant that old oracle clients work with current release.

    regards
    It is true that they don't 'grant' (guarantee?) they will work. The fact some do work is neither here nor there.

    As others have said: use the latest version.
  • 10. Re: error ora-03113
    AlbertoFaenza Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    wesam2008 wrote:
    Dear
    I've had my question I can make a connection to the 11g db with release 8.0.6.0.0 which it's coming with 6i package and it's old version also
    and also my version working propaly with db 10g r2


    for that is not true that Oracle does not grant that old oracle clients work with current release.

    regards
    If you know that Oracle does not grant old Oracle clients to work with current release or any later release, for which reason you want to do that?
    To have unpredictable result in your production environment?

    If you have an application software and you migrate your database to a new database version, all application software MUST be ported to the new database version to avoid unpredictable results.

    It still can work with an old version but it's not granted. Anytime you can have unpredictable results. Why do you want to take that risk?

    Regards.
    Al
  • 11. Re: error ora-03113
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Currently Being Moderated
    wesam2008 wrote:
    Dear
    I've had my question I can make a connection to the 11g db with release 8.0.6.0.0 which it's coming with 6i package and it's old version also
    and also my version working propaly with db 10g r2


    for that is not true that Oracle does not grant that old oracle clients work with current release.
    Actually you are wrong.

    With each new version Oracle often introduces new features and syntax to the database.
    Older version of the client software do not know or understand the new features/syntax, so if you try to use them they will error.
    If you only use features and syntax that was available on the database at the time the client software was written, it may work ok for that limited feature set, but also the way oracle makes connections to the database and the underlying communication between client and database will vary slightly as versions move on. So I woulc certainly expect I could make a connection from a 9i or 10g client to an 11g database as that's just a couple of versions old, though I would be missing the ability to use new 11g functionality. However, using something as old as a version 3 client on an 10g or 11g database, I would be surprised if it even managed to connect.

    I think on metalink (oracle support or whatever they call it now), you can find information about the compatibility of the different versions, but the best practice is to use the latest version of the client that matches the database. The latest clients can typically connect to older versions of the database as they of often 'backwardly compatible' though even that has it's limitations.

    So Oracle does not guarantee that old clients will work with current/future releases of the database... how could they? they don't know what the future versions will contain.
  • 12. Re: error ora-03113
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    wesam2008 wrote:
    i mean if i can connect sql with 11g thats mean i can use applications with 11g db
    i'm using forms 4.5 and reports 2.5
    As far as I recall, Oracle 8 SQL*Net was not compatible with Oracle 10g. If my recollection is correct (we used Oracle 8 over a decade ago), then Oracle 8 SQL*Net and prior are highly unlikely to support 11g and such connections are very likely to fail.

    Assume that you need to use Oracle 9 SQL*Net or later to connect to 11g - also expect that this will also not be as robust as using the latest 11g drivers. Such as Oracle InstantClient for 11g.

Legend

  • Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points