7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 5:23 AM by MrMonza RSS

How to disable role password in Solaris 11

Roles can only be assumed by logged in users. That is the definition of a role. Therefore role authentication is to some extent double authentication. The user has already authenticated as himself when he logged in and the sysadmin has enough trust in him to grant him a certain role. So why would he need to authenticate to the role? Isn't that double authentication ? Anyway I can see why that makes sense on a role like 'root' but on other more normal types of roles ? Really?

Anyway that is not what this posting is about. It is about me not being able to figure out how to disable role password in Oracle 11.

In Solaris 10 I would do:

<pre>passwd -r files -d myrole</pre>

That would set the myrole account to a no password account and that would be enough to disable it.

In Solaris 11 I cannot make this work. I suspect this is because of the introduction of the roleauth attribute but I've tried all possible combinations:

<pre>rolemod -K roleauth=user myrole</pre>

<pre>rolemod -K roleauth=role myrole</pre>

Can't make any of these work.

Pls help.
        • 1. Re: How to disable role password in Solaris 11
          Hello MrMonza,
          I do not completely understand what you are looking for. Perhaps it would help if you explained, for which purpose you want to use your new role.
          In short, a role is simply a user account, to which you cannot login directly. As to every user account, rights are assigned to each role. And as for every user account, you have to provide a password for it.

If you want to switch to a role without password, this is nearly the same as extending the rights of your account.
          This is possible by assigning additional profiles to it via /etc/user_attr. Privileged commands, written by you, and connected to these profiles, can be defined in /etc/security/exec_attr.d/local-entries. These commands can be called via pfexec, see pfexec(1), which grants privileges (e.g. uid=0) for just the call.
          See also user_attr(4), prof_attr(4), exec_attr(4) and the "SEE ALSO" sections in there.
          Profiles can be chosen from the predefined profiles in /etc/security/prof_attr.d, or they can be self-assembled from these profiles and authorizations from /etc/security/auth_attr.d.
          New profiles should be stored in /etc/security/prof_attr.d/local-entries.
          • 2. Re: How to disable role password in Solaris 11
            Simply speaking if I'm user monza who has been granted role 'somerole' then if do

<pre>monza$ su - somerole</pre>

then I'm prompted for a password. I would like to avoid being prompted for a password.

In Solaris 10 I could do that as explained above. In Solaris 11 I do not know how to do it. It seems that in Solaris 11 simply changing 'somerole' to a NP (no password) account is no longer enough.

• 3. Re: How to disable role password in Solaris 11
              Darren Moffat-Oracle
              Please try in Solaris 11.1 with the 'passwd -d myrole' again, that really should work when roleauth=role (ie the default).

There were some changes in how the passwd(1) state transistions work between Solaris 10 and 11 and then again in 11.1 (to bring back some of the things that Solaris 10 allowed that Solaris 11 did not).

Though if you don't want authentication and you don't need a shared home directory for a shared account then I would recommend you grant the RBAC profiles to the user. You may also want to change the users login shell to be prefixed with 'pf' eg '/usr/bin/pfbash if you don't want them to always have to prefix commands in the profiles with 'pfexec'
              • 4. Re: How to disable role password in Solaris 11
                So I thought I would prove to you that this doesn't work in Solaris 11.1.

Here is exactly what I do:

As root:

<pre>root@minisrv:~# cat /etc/release</pre>
                <pre> Oracle Solaris 11.1 X86</pre>
                <pre> Copyright (c) 1983, 2012, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.</pre>
                <pre> Assembled 19 September 2012</pre>

<pre>root@minisrv:~# roleadd -d /export/home/myrole -m myrole</pre>
                <pre>80 blocks</pre>
                <pre>root@minisrv:~# passwd -d myrole</pre>
                <pre>passwd: password information changed for myrole</pre>
                <pre>root@minisrv:~# usermod -R +myrole monza</pre>
                <pre>root@minisrv:~# exit</pre>

Then I log into user 'monza' and do as follows:

<pre>monza@minisrv:~$ roles</pre>
                <pre>monza@minisrv:~$ su - myrole</pre>
                <pre>su: Sorry</pre>

What am I doing wrong ?
                • 5. Re: How to disable role password in Solaris 11
                  Hi MrMonza,
                  perhaps this will help:
                  From passwd(1):
                  Deletes password for name and unlocks the
                  account. The login name is not prompted for pass-
                  word. It is only applicable to the files and ldap

If the login(1) option PASSREQ=YES is configured,
                  the account is not able to login. PASSREQ=YES is
                  the delivered default.
                  By the way:
                  PASSREQ=YES is the default in /etc/default/login

If I interpret passwd(1) correctly, after performing passwd -d, login to your "myrole" in any way is impossible, until you change PASSREQ.
                  • 6. Re: How to disable role password in Solaris 11
                    Darren Moffat-Oracle
                    Correct you have PASSREQ=YES so accounts that have no password can not authenticate.

There was a bug in prior releases that PASSREQ=YES was not enforced by su(1M) when it should have been, that was fixed in Solaris 11.
                    • 7. Re: How to disable role password in Solaris 11
                      Thank you. That has solved the problem.

Obviously the reason why I've not been observant about the PASSREQ setting before is because of the bug you mention.

I've tested on Solaris 10 u10 and in that release it is perfectly possible to make a role without a password and make it work without setting PASSREQ to 'NO'. So I'm leaning towards that the bug you mention about lack of enforcement of PASSREQ setting was never fixed in any version of Solaris 10.

This will surely break some updates to Solaris 11 but now that we know how to fix this it is no big deal.

Again : mille grazie