This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 11:45 AM by Amit S-Oracle RSS

Setting Archivelog mode

884097 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
In order to use RMAN y need to alter my database into archivelog mode. I found some info abuot how to do that, however, I am not sure about the procedure.
These are the commands I have to write for make the modification:
shutdown immediate;
starup mount;
alter database archivelog;
alter database open;

But it looks very simple and I don´t think I'm in the correct way. There is a parameter that confuse me because the oracle page's examples don't show anythig about it:
USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST

Can anybody helpme??
  • 1. Re: Setting Archivelog mode
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    Hi,

You need to set the archive destination in the pfile/spfile before placing the database to archivelog mode.

In your database pfile/spfile:
    db_recovery_file_dest_size=2G #space size can be specified according to your requirement
    db_recovery_file_dest='<destination where you want to store the archives>'
    Once done, mount the database using the modified spfile/pfile and place the database in archive mode. Finally open the database.

If you do not want to use FRA (flash recovery area) and just want to place the database in archive mode, then in your pfile/spfile, add:
    log_archive_dest='<location where you want to store the archives>'
    Once done, mount the database using the modified spfile/pfile and place the database in archive mode. Finally open the database.

If you feel that your questions have been answered, then please consider closing the threads by marking it as answered and providing appropriate points.
  • 2. Re: Setting Archivelog mode
    vlethakula Expert
    Those are the steps to convert from No Archive log to Archive log mode.

By default if we do not specify log_archive_dest location, Archive logs will be generated in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs.

You can override that location by using log_archive_dest parameter.

Regarding USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST parameter, If you set this parameter (alter system set log_archive_dest_1='LOCATION=USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST';)
    archive logs will be generated in Flash Recovery Area (FRA).

check the below link:

http://blog.oracle48.nl/use-use_db_recovery_file_dest-for-self-managing-deletion-rules-of-the-archived-log-files/
  • 3. Re: Setting Archivelog mode
    nnarimanov Newbie
    Hi,
    You can just set db_recovery_file_dest/size params and forget about log_archive_dest_n. Because if log_archive dest is not set, then Oracle uses db_recovery_file_dest as default log_archive_dest value.
  • 4. Re: Setting Archivelog mode
    Amit S-Oracle Newbie
    Hi DBAalajuela,

You don't need to change your database to NOARCHIVELOG mode to ARCHIVELOG mode or vice a versa in order to use RMAN. Archivelog mode is a protection mechanism of database where special oracle processes known as archiver will copy online redo log files into archives before oracle LGWR pick it next time for writing.

If your question is why we need to start db into mount state then the answer would be:

An open database must first be closed and any associated instances shut down before you can switch the database archiving mode and all database related changes (alter database commands) would allowed to execute only in mount state where none of the datafile is open for use.

Regarding parameter USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST, I think you mean by parameter DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST.
    Please refer following link

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17120/omf002.htm

Regards,
    Amit S.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points