This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 10:47 AM by Suri RSS

SQL expert or 11g SQL Fundamentals ??

Suri Pro
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Gurus,

I am getting confused in selecting the correct test. Oracle says that if the exam is difficult then required passing score will be low with compare to other exams.

I heard that SQL expert (1Z0-047) is a bit difficult with compare to 11g SQL Fundamentals(1Z0-051). But for SQL Expert the passing score is high and also exam price.

Any idea why there is a difference in pricing and also passing score. And also suggest me which test I need to attend.

Below I've copied the link.

[http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=138#2_6]
For example, to maintain a consistent standard for success, a new version of an exam, which contains more dificult questions than the prior version will be assigned a somewhat lower required passing score. For this reason, passing scores may vary between different exams in your certification track, and between later and earlier versions of the same exam.
Thanks,
Suri
  • 1. Re: SQL expert or 11g SQL Fundamentals ??
    matthew_morris Expert
    Oracle says that if the exam is difficult then required passing score will be low with compare to other exams.
    That's not what the text says, what it says is: "...a new *version* of an exam, which contains more difficult questions than the *prior version* will be assigned a somewhat lower required passing..."

OE is not talking about 1Z0-051 vs 1Z0-047 because they are not different versions of the same test. The statement indicates that if they take a test, make an updated version, but determine that the new version has harder questions, they may drop the passing score so that it is not harder to pass than what it replaces.

Any idea why there is a difference in pricing and also passing score.
    1Z0-051 is available online (i.e. not proctored). It is cheaper because that method costs Oracle less to offer. My opinion is that it vastly reduces the value of passing it because it is too easy to cheat, but that's a completely different topic.

The only relationship in the two tests is that they both cover SQL. They do so at vastly different levels of difficulty. The scores between these two tests have no relationship to each other. OE sets the passing score for individual tests at a level designed to allow a certain percentage of test takers to pass it. I don't know what that level is or how they determine it. My belief is that this score is determined initially while they process the beta tests results. If I'm correct, then they pick a passing score based on the beta answers that would allow their target percentage of candidates to pass. It might be that they adjust passing scores early in the life of a production exam if they find that the beta 'passing percentage' was atypical, but that's just speculation.

And also suggest me which test I need to attend.
    I wrote an article a few months ago discussing the two tests and why you might take one over the other:

http://www.gocertify.com/articles/oracle-sql-certification-1z0-051-or-1z0-047.html
  • 2. Re: SQL expert or 11g SQL Fundamentals ??
    Suri Pro
    Thank you very much sir. Sorry for misreadin the OE comments.

The article is very helpful. Now I am having a clear mindset. I will try for SQL expert itself.

Cheers,
    Suri

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points