This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 1:14 AM by LaurenzAlbe RSS

Oracle Instant Client

975125 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I downloaded the instant client packages for AIX from the following link.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/aix5l32soft-096141.html

I downloaded instantclient-basic-aix.ppc32-11.2.0.3.0.zip and instantclient-sqlplus-aix.ppc32-11.2.0.3.0.zip.

I extracted all files from the basic to */home/client/lib* and all files from sqlplus to */home/client/sqlplus/bin*
I copied */home/client/sqlplus/bin/sqlplus* to */home/client/bin*.

And I set the environment variables.
export ORACLE_HOME=/home/client
export PATH=/home/client/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/client/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I could not startup sqlplus with the following errors.
Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus
SP2-0667: Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found
SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle software directory

It was fixed by copying sqlplus/mesg from oracle 11.2.0.1 to my directory ( */home/client/sqlplus/mesg* )

I cannot start up sqlplus with the following errors.
SP2-1503: Unable to initialize Oracle call interface
SP2-0152: ORACLE may not be functioning properly

This error was fixed by copying oracore/zoneinfo from oracle 11.2.0.1 to my directory ( */home/client/oracore/zoneinfo* )

I also needed to create tnsnames.ora file inside */home/client/network/admin/tnsnames.ora*

I don't know, if I don't have any other oracle client version, where I can download those necessary files.

Edited by: 972122 on Nov 27, 2012 12:24 AM

Edited by: 972122 on Nov 27, 2012 12:36 AM
  • 1. Re: Oracle Instant Client
    LaurenzAlbe Journeyer
    Currently Being Moderated
    First, you should copy the shared objects from instantclient-sqlplus-aix.ppc32-11.2.0.3.0.zip to your /home/client/lib so that they can be found.

It is not necessary to set ORACLE_HOME with Instant Client (but it should not hurt either).

Your error message (SP2-0667: Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found) indicates that the Instant Client shared library libociei.so was not found.
    You should not copy the message and time zone files from another installation, they are contained in libociei.so.

- Make sure that you use the correct sqlplus (the one from the Instant Client installation).
    - Check what shared libraries are loaded (ldd /home/client/bin/sqlplus).
    If that uses /home/client/lib/libclntsh.so, it should be ok.
    - If all fails, use "truss" to find out if and where sqlplus is looking for libociei.so, maybe then you can figure out why it is not found.

Yours,
    Laurenz Albe

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points