This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 8:46 PM by 976407 RSS

How to associate a file extension to my javafx desktop application?

976407 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have a javafx2 desktop application, I want to associate a certain kind of file with my application(like *.xxx), when the user double clicked the file, the system will start my application.
I notice Scene Builder have that behavior, when double click *.fxml, Scene Builder will be launched.
How could I do that for my own app, I look through Oracle's Packaging Document, and did not find anything helpful, maybe there is something I missed.
Could anyone help? Thanks a lot!

Edited by: user2027732 on Nov 27, 2012 1:29 AM
  • 1. Re: How to associate a file extension to my javafx desktop application?
    yves joan Explorer
    If your application is a self-contained as produced by the FX packager there isn't support for file association yet, but it will come at some point: see http://javafx-jira.kenai.com/browse/RT-23918
    For the time being you've to manage it in an OS dependent manner:
    - on Mac the post-install script that FX packager calls can be customized to process the Info.plist. How to create file association in Info.plist is described in MacOS docs.
    - on Linux you can use too the post install scripts too, commands to call are either RPM or Debian stuff.
    - on Windows the file association management is delegated to the "companion" software you've decided to use. If it's Inno Setup as suggested in FX docs you can then use a custom -post-image.wsf.

Regards
  • 2. Re: How to associate a file extension to my javafx desktop application?
    976407 Newbie
    Thank you yves joan , your post is really helpful, I've make my app get that behavior on Mac.
    There is another problem I met, How can I get the file path which the user double clicked, I try to get it from main method's agrs and Application.getParameters().
    None of them work for me, do you have any idea on this?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points