1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2012 7:31 AM by EdStevens RSS

SQL Developer Connection

Hi, I am currently in the process of learning how to use Oracle SQL Developer. I have managed to download the Windows 32 bit from the following location:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html

and started the Developer Tool, but whenever I try a localhost connection I get the following error:

Status : Failure -Test failed: IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection.

I have checked a few forums and they mention I have to download an 11g database etc so dont know if I had installed the right software. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: SQL Developer Connection
          vijayrsehgal-Oracle
          welcome to the forum, your question should be in sql developer forum and not in sql and pl/sql.
          • 2. Re: SQL Developer Connection
            Ora
            Is the listener service up?
            It has nothing to do with Oracle 11g.
            More info:
            http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_network_adapter_could_not_establish_connection.htm

Edited by: Ora on 27 Nov, 2012 4:18 AM
            Added link.
            • 3. Re: SQL Developer Connection
              ranit B
              973436 wrote:
              Hi, I am currently in the process of learning how to use Oracle SQL Developer. I have managed to download the Windows 32 bit from the following location:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html

and started the Developer Tool, but whenever I try a localhost connection I get the following error:

Status : Failure -Test failed: IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection.

I have checked a few forums and they mention I have to download an 11g database etc so dont know if I had installed the right software. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
              Please go to Windows Run prompt and give services.msc

Please check there, if the OracleListener and other Oracle-related services are in Active state and NOT Disabled.
              • 4. Re: SQL Developer Connection
                BluShadow
                your question has now been moved to Oracle Discussion Forums » Application Development in PL/SQL » SQL Developer (Not for general SQL/PLSQL questions)
                as it does not relate to SQL or PL/SQL specifically.
                • 5. Re: SQL Developer Connection
                  Thanks guys, apologies for the error.
                  • 6. Re: SQL Developer Connection
                    Ora, thanks for your response. I have tried to start the listener control (from cmd) but i get an error message that this is not recognised.
                    • 7. Re: SQL Developer Connection
                      ranit B, thanks for your help. I have gone into Services and unfortunately I have not been able to find anything related to Oracle. Does that mean I am missing something from installation?
                      • 8. Re: SQL Developer Connection
                        EdStevens
                        973436 wrote:
                        ranit B, thanks for your help. I have gone into Services and unfortunately I have not been able to find anything related to Oracle. Does that mean I am missing something from installation?
                        Where is the database you are trying to connect to? Is it on the same computer from which you are running SQL Developer?

At this point - until we get more information, we don't really have a SQL Developer question so much as we have a general client/server configuration question.
                        • 9. Re: SQL Developer Connection
                          EdStevens, thanks for your help. At present all I am looking to do is to create a new database on a localhost and then create my own tables as I am in the process of learning how to use the Oracle Platform. I am guessing thats where the problem lies..
                          • 10. Re: SQL Developer Connection
                            Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle
                            You can skip learning how to install Oracle and create a database - which isn't that bad on Windows if you use the installer and Database Creation Assistant (DBCA) - if you use our Developer Days Hands-on-Lab. It's a VirtualBox image running OEL with 11gR2 database with sample data and demos pre-installed and available.

You'll need to install the free VirtualBox, import this image, and start it.
                            http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/databaseappdev-vm-161299.html
                            • 11. Re: SQL Developer Connection
                              Thanks for this Jeff, really appreciate it, as at present want to familiarise myself with Oracle so this will be very helpful. Out of interest does this tool allow output to Excel?
                              • 12. Re: SQL Developer Connection
                                Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle
                                Excel, delimited files, xml, HTML, INSERT statements, etc - so yes!
                                • 13. Re: SQL Developer Connection
                                  EdStevens
                                  973436 wrote:
                                  EdStevens, thanks for your help. At present all I am looking to do is to create a new database on a localhost and then create my own tables as I am in the process of learning how to use the Oracle Platform. I am guessing thats where the problem lies..
                                  So at this point we don't know if you even have a database, or what you have really installed or done with that installation.

If all you've done is install SQL Developer -- as indicated by the link you gave in your opening post ... then you do not have a database, or even any database software. SQL Developer is just a client tool. You have a telephone, but no one to talk to.

Are you by any chance coming from the SQL Server world?
                                  • 14. Re: SQL Developer Connection
                                    EdStevens, thanks for the brief explanation. To be fair I am more an avid user of phpmyadmin and hence thought the Oracle SQL Developer was similar to that hence the misunderstanding. My workplace is looking to migrate all our data onto a database platform and I have been told that we will most likely be using Oracle SQL Developer so I thought I would get a headstart to understand the software and what I can and cant do.

Thanks btw for taking your time to help, really appreciate it.
                                    1 2 Previous Next