1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2012 7:31 AM by EdStevens Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: SQL Developer Connection
        EdStevens
        973436 wrote:
        EdStevens, thanks for the brief explanation. To be fair I am more an avid user of phpmyadmin and hence thought the Oracle SQL Developer was similar to that hence the misunderstanding. My workplace is looking to migrate all our data onto a database platform and I have been told that we will most likely be using Oracle SQL Developer so I thought I would get a headstart to understand the software and what I can and cant do.

Thanks btw for taking your time to help, really appreciate it.
        Never heard of phpmyadmin, so I googled it. Seems it is just a web-based admin tool for mySQL. If so then your statement "workplace is looking to migrate all our data onto a database platform" is already flawed. You are on a database platform. You are simply going to migrate to a much more robust database platform. Regardless of which database platform you are on (mySQL , Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, etc) the first thing you must do is burn into your brain the difference between the database and the front-end tool you happen to be using. It appears that your current database is mySQL and the tool you just happen to be useing (one of many available) is phpmyadmin. All database products have a variety of vendor supplied and third party tools available, in addition to programming interfaces through languages such as c, c++, java, cobol, VisualBasic, etc, etc. In fact the front-end tools (phpmyadmin, SQL Developer, etc) are actually just applications written in some programming language. As far as the database itself is concerned, they are all just client apps. To the Oracle database, there is not difference between SQL Developer and some in-house written banking application running an ATM machine. to the database, they are all 'just another client application'.

Now, maybe all that is just overkill and something you already knew and understood. Perhaps your statement "workplace is looking to migrate all our data onto a database platform" was just a poorly constructed sentence, and what you meant was "workplace is looking to migrate all our data onto a *DIFFERENT* database platform". But I have known people who made similar statements and meant exactly what they said ... because they really didn't have a clue that there was anything at all beyond the application they saw on screen in front of them.
        1 2 Previous Next