4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2012 12:47 PM by 976571 RSS

JDBC-ODBC and JNDI issue

I have a table (called tabla) in a database (Access). I have created a System DSN (ODBC) for that database (called Prueba). When I try to get to the data with this code y get the subsecuent exception (when I go through the connection, statement, etc. everything works fine).
      Code:
      String name = "jdbc:odbc:Prueba";
      FilteredRowSet retVal= new FilteredRowSetImpl();
      retVal.setDataSourceName( name);
      retVal.setCommand( "Select * from tabla");
      retVal.execute();
      Exception:
      Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLException: (JNDI) No se puede conectar
      at com.sun.rowset.internal.CachedRowSetReader.connect(CachedRowSetReader.java:317)
      at com.sun.rowset.internal.CachedRowSetReader.readData(CachedRowSetReader.java:140)
      at com.sun.rowset.CachedRowSetImpl.execute(CachedRowSetImpl.java:786)
      at com.sun.rowset.CachedRowSetImpl.execute(CachedRowSetImpl.java:1418)
      at abc.Modelo.getRowSet(Modelo.java:77)
      at abc.Modelo.<init>(Modelo.java:32)
      at abc.ABC.inicializa(ABC.java:90)
      at abc.ABC.<init>(ABC.java:35)
      at abc.Main.main(Main.java:18)
      Caused by: javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file: java.naming.factory.initial
      at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(NamingManager.java:645)
      at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:288)
      at javax.naming.InitialContext.getURLOrDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:325)
      at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:392)
      at com.sun.rowset.internal.CachedRowSetReader.connect(CachedRowSetReader.java:301)
      ... 8 more
      Please, Can anyone tell me how can I fix this code and make it work?
      Any help is welcome.
      Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: JDBC-ODBC and JNDI issue
          jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
          javax.naming.NoInitialContextException:
          You must set up the JNDI context. And it appears you dd that wrong.

You can google for examples on how to do that.
          • 2. Re: JDBC-ODBC and JNDI issue
            Can anyone be more explicit?
            Please, even in a sketchy way, indicate what is required "to set up the jndi context".
            Any help would be appreciated.
            Thanks in advance.
            • 3. Re: JDBC-ODBC and JNDI issue
              EJP
              What part of
              Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file: java.naming.factory.initial
              don't you understand? It is one of the most explicit and complete error messages I have ever seen in 40+ years of computer programming.

Have you considered reading the documentation?

Have you noticed that the exception isn't thrown by the code you posted?
              • 4. Re: JDBC-ODBC and JNDI issue
                Ok. Lets assume I choose application resource file. I do believe that I have to put a line like "java.naming.factory.initial=<something>". The question is now: what is the right <something>? (Given that I want to access a DSN created for ODBC).
                One more question: is that all, or I am required to do something else? (Like independently "register" a datasource for jndi and something else).
                Thank you very much in advance.