This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 3:03 AM by tbrinkmann RSS

autofs and ncp

tbrinkmann Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
i´m trying to use autofs to mount ncp share.

1. I can use fstab with a passwdfile to mount my test folder /nwtest no problem here....
2. but if I try to use auto i do not understand the right configuration parameters.
--> first configure /etc/auto-master
echo "/nwtest /etc/auto.net >> /etc/auto.master.... no problem here
--> second I create the auto.net file

Question1: What is identifier in the auto.net file the mount point ? in this case /nwtest right ?
nwtest -fstype=ncp defaults,mode=777,ipserver=testpool1,nonfs,uid=root,uid=root,owner=root,volume=TESTVOL1,passwdfile=/etc/edir-passwords,multiple,timeout=900 0 0
? Or what autofs needs to know for the first word(nwtest) ? the mountpoint or the networkshare name ?
--> next the password file
Q2 What is the identifier here if i use fstab i used the share name

/etc/fstab/-->testpool1/.admin.test /nwtest ncp defaults,passwdfile=/etc/edir-passwords
etc/edir-passwords-->nwtest/.admin.test:SOMEPASSWORD

Q3 Does autofs need fstab entrys ?

Thanks for help
*T
  • 1. Re: autofs and ncp
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    I know nothing about ncp but I know a little about autofs.

<i>--> first configure /etc/auto-master
    echo "/nwtest /etc/auto.net >> /etc/auto.master.... no problem here
    --> second I create the auto.net file</i>

What you are doing here is creating a /nwtest mountpoint that entries in auto.net will mount <b>subdirectories</b> within. If you wish to have a dynamic mount at the /nwtest location you will need to use a direct mounting scheme which can be defined in auto.master like this:

<pre>/- auto.direct</pre>

and place the /nwtest definition inside auto.direct. However that will look like with an ncp filesystem....
  • 2. Re: autofs and ncp
    tbrinkmann Explorer
    Hi,
    ok you are right the auto.net file do additional things. So I changed to use a direct file.

If I use your notation I get a autofs error. If I try to mount into an subdir it runs without a problem.

/nwtest auto.direct --> ok

but if I use

/- auto.direct

I get the error

Starting service automounter ("files nis" does not provide any mounts)skipped

Any idea ?
    Thanks *T                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  • 3. Re: autofs and ncp
    tbrinkmann Explorer
    Question1: What is identifier in the auto.net file the mount point ? in this case /nwtest right ?

A: Yes, Autofs uses the /nwtest folder now to mount all subfolder configured in auto.direct

Q2 What is the identifier here if i use fstab i used the share name

A: The subfolder that used for mount e.g nwtest/testmount

Q3 Does autofs need fstab entrys ?

A:No

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points