This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 1:15 AM by Harm Joris ten Napel RSS

DataDirect & SSL

152267 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have a client that uses DataDirect (6.1, I know it's old but that's what I've got) and I need to connect to an Oracle 11g database that is secured with Advanced Security. I simply need to enable SSL between the DataDirect client and the oracle server, but 6.1 doesn't use oracle net so I have no idea how to do this from the Oracle side. Do I need to change anything?
  • 1. Re: DataDirect & SSL
    Harm Joris ten Napel Pro
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi ,

how do you mean it doesn't use Oracle net? To make a connection to Oracle database the client needs to implement sqlnet in some way,
    if it's not OCI it can be JDBC thin and sqlnet is implemented in java, any 3th party 'connectors' are likely build on top of OCI as well.

That said you need to check how your DataDirect tool is built (for example oci , jdbc, odp.net, odbc) and what Oracle version required
    support files are being used on the client, then you can check more generic documentation if ssl can be fitted into it.

Also is SSL really a requirement? Since ASO features also include encryption and checksumming features apart from SSL that are
    more easy to configure and only requires changes on the server side sqlnet.ora file and with a bit of luck, no client changes are even
    required. SSL is only required if you need the added certainty of a trusted server .

I would admit my answer is not the full solution so please note we are currently actively promoting the new support communities also,
    so if you want to get some feedback from your peers as well as the attention of Oracle support engineers, please go to

https://communities.oracle.com/portal/server.pt/community/database_security_products/338

This will put you in the Database Products Security community , but you can select others also from the left,

Greetings,

Harm ten Napel
    Oracle Support

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points