This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 1:00 AM by Harm Joris ten Napel RSS

DBMS_CRYPTO support on different versions

976875 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We receive data from different oracle version. My query is can DBMS_CRYPTO function support encrypt/decrypt in differnt versions of oracle. That is, can we encrypt in Oracle 10.2 version, pass the data files, load into another database with Oracle 11g version and then try to decrypt it 11g. Will this work smoothly ?

provided we use the same algorithm, same password key etc .... I assume DBMS_CRYPTO function is available only from oracle 10.2(10gR2)

Thanks, BK
  • 1. Re: DBMS_CRYPTO support on different versions
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    It should, yes.

Any time you are encrypting data, you're much better served storing the encrypted data in RAW columns. But that is particularly true when you intend to move the data from one system to another in order to ensure that the data isn't corrupted by character set conversion.

Justin
  • 2. Re: DBMS_CRYPTO support on different versions
    Harm Joris ten Napel Pro
    Hi Justin,

I absolutely wanted to vote for your answer, however in this forum it's not possible.

Please note we are currently actively promoting the new support communities also, so if you want to get some
    feedback from your peers as well as the attention of Oracle support engineers, please go to

https://communities.oracle.com/portal/server.pt/community/database_security_products/338

This will put you in the Database Products Security community , but you can select others also from the left,

Greetings,

Harm ten Napel
    Oracle Support

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points