This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 9:04 AM by 966897 RSS

cp -R Command - Different number of Bytes in Original dir and copied dir

Nir Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Experts,

I have copied an Directory (49GB) using *cp -R +<Original file path> <new place>+* command.

When i run du -c | grep total cammand in both original file and the copied filr below are the values,

Original - 50998896
Copied - 50999684

Why it gives different values ??

Do i need to use any other command to copy it ??

Will it be a issue on taking backups ???

Please help me ......
  • 1. Re: cp -R Command - Different number of Bytes in Original dir and copied dir
    966897 Newbie
    Nir wrote:
    Hi Experts,

I have copied an Directory (49GB) using *cp -R +<Original file path> <new place>+* command.

When i run du -c | grep total cammand in both original file and the copied filr below are the values,

Original - 50998896
    Copied - 50999684

Why it gives different values ??

Do i need to use any other command to copy it ??

Will it be a issue on taking backups ???

Please help me ......
    I have noticed similar problems with both "cp -r/R" and "rsync -r". But it happened only when I was trying to copy the home folder.
  • 2. Re: cp -R Command - Different number of Bytes in Original dir and copied dir
    Nik Expert
    Hi.
    It's depend what you copy.

Some examples, that cause this:

1. Some files have soft or hard links. cp will copy this as undepended files. ( Backup will lager then source)
    ( tar or cpio will correct copy )
    2. Some files have holes. cp will fill holes by zero. ( Backup will lager then source)
    ( no solutions )

3. In case on source side at directory was creataed many files and after removed, directroy size still large.
    On destination side new dir will have size required for store curent files. ( Backup will less then source).
    ( no solutions)

4. Some errors at executions of backup. :)

Regards.
  • 3. Re: cp -R Command - Different number of Bytes in Original dir and copied dir
    Dude! Guru
    The cp command has various options to handle and dereference symbolic links, sparse files, privileges, etc. If you want copy the complete directory and file structure I suggest to use the tar command. The following, for instance, will copy everything under /u01 to /mydir.

<pre>
    # cd /u01
    # tar -cf - . | (cd /mydir; tar -xf -; sync)
    </pre>

Edited by: Dude on Dec 3, 2012 9:37 AM
  • 4. Re: cp -R Command - Different number of Bytes in Original dir and copied dir
    966897 Newbie
    Dude wrote:
    The cp command has various options to handle and dereference symbolic links, sparse files, privileges, etc. If you want copy the complete directory and file structure I suggest to use the tar command. The following, for instance, will copy everything under /u01 to /mydir.

<pre>
    # cd /u01
    # tar -cf - . | (cd /mydir; tar -xf -; sync)
    </pre>

Edited by: Dude on Dec 3, 2012 9:37 AM
    Don't know where I screwed up.

This is what I did (I am running ol6.3 in /dev/sdb5):

1. Mount an ("inactive") ol6.3 partition (/dev/sdb6) on /mnt
    2. cd /mnt
    3. tar -cf -. | (cd /extra/sdb6; tar -xf -; sync) # /extra/sdb6 is the destination partition

Check results:

# du -s /mnt
    # 3783812     /mnt

# du -s /extra/sdb6
    # 4456860     /extra/sdb6

The dest partition (4,456.860MB) is substantially greater than the source partition (3,783.812MB).

Edited by: Ping-Wu on Dec 3, 2012 10:33 AM
  • 5. Re: cp -R Command - Different number of Bytes in Original dir and copied dir
    Dude! Guru
    It works fine here, see below example:

<pre>
    # mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb3
    # mkdir /mnt/sdb3
    # mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/sdb3
    # cd /lib64
    # tar -cf - . | (cd /mnt/sdb3; tar -xf -; sync)

# du -s /lib64
    27072     /lib64

# du -s /mnt/sdb3
    27088     /mnt/sdb3

# du -s /mnt/sdb3/lost+found
    16     /mnt/sdb3/lost+found
    </pre>

Do you have any hidden files on /extra/sdb6? Are you using the same filesystem? You can try the diff command to see what is different, e.g.:

<pre>
    # diff /lib64 /mnt/sdb3
    Only in /mnt/sdb3: lost+found
    </pre>

You can also use the cp copy command, but you will have to add some options to preserve file ownerships, timestamps, links, etc, e.g.:

<pre>
    # rm -rf /mnt/sdb3/lib64
    # cp -pdr /lib64 /mnt/sdb3
    # sync

# du -s /lib64
    27072     /lib64

# du -s /mnt/sdb3/lib64
    27072     /mnt/sdb3/lib64
    </pre>

Edited by: Dude on Dec 3, 2012 2:12 PM
  • 6. Re: cp -R Command - Different number of Bytes in Original dir and copied dir
    966897 Newbie
    Dude wrote:
    It works fine here, see below example:

<pre>
    # mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb3
    # mkdir /mnt/sdb3
    # mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/sdb3
    # cd /lib64
    # tar -cf - . | (cd /mnt/sdb3; tar -xf -; sync)

# du -s /lib64
    27072     /lib64

# du -s /mnt/sdb3
    27088     /mnt/sdb3

# du -s /mnt/sdb3/lost+found
    16     /mnt/sdb3/lost+found
    </pre>

Do you have any hidden files on /extra/sdb6? Are you using the same filesystem? You can try the diff command to see what is different, e.g.:

<pre>
    # diff /lib64 /mnt/sdb3
    Only in /mnt/sdb3: lost+found
    </pre>

You can also use the cp copy command, but you will have to add some options to preserve file ownerships, timestamps, links, etc, e.g.:

<pre>
    # rm -rf /mnt/sdb3/lib64
    # cp -pdr /lib64 /mnt/sdb3
    # sync

# du -s /lib64
    27072     /lib64

# du -s /mnt/sdb3/lib64
    27072     /mnt/sdb3/lib64
    </pre>

Edited by: Dude on Dec 3, 2012 2:12 PM
    This is what I got, still doing my investigation:

[root@oracle-32 usr]# du -s /mnt/home/oracle/
    166996     /mnt/home/oracle/
    [root@oracle-32 usr]# du -s /extra/sdb6/home/oracle/
    175152     /extra/sdb6/home/oracle/
    [root@oracle-32 usr]# diff -r /mnt/home/oracle/ /extra/sdb6/home/oracle/
    Only in /mnt/home/oracle/.dropbox: command_socket
    Only in /mnt/home/oracle/.dropbox: iface_socket
    diff: /mnt/home/oracle/.pulse/5325b55a5d3c35d27a2aecaa00000021-runtime: No such file or directory
    diff: /extra/sdb6/home/oracle/.pulse/5325b55a5d3c35d27a2aecaa00000021-runtime: No such file or directory
  • 7. Re: cp -R Command - Different number of Bytes in Original dir and copied dir
    Nir Newbie
    Hi All...

Thanks for the replies....

I'll try tar command or cp -pdr here after when i taking backups.

Thanks all.....
  • 8. Re: cp -R Command - Different number of Bytes in Original dir and copied dir
    Dude! Guru
    Applicatons may create temporary and process dependent files that you do not need to copy. You can avoid problems to access such files by closing the appropriate application prior to your copy attempt. Similarily, you cannot copy socket files and you don't need to copy them because they are recreated at application startup. And last not least, you cannot copy a running database since datafiles will be inconsistent.
  • 9. Re: cp -R Command - Different number of Bytes in Original dir and copied dir
    966897 Newbie
    Dude wrote:
    Applicatons may create temporary and process dependent files that you do not need to copy. You can avoid problems to access such files by closing the appropriate application prior to your copy attempt. Similarily, you cannot copy socket files and you don't need to copy them because they are recreated at application startup. And last not least, you cannot copy a running database since datafiles will be inconsistent.
    I "think" (not-yet-verified) what I might have screwed up was that I rebooted (instead of a powering-off then powering-on) to a different OL installation/partition and the temporary and process dependent files in the now dormant partition, from which I was trying to copy/tar/rsync, were not removed.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points