1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 11:57 AM by clcarter RSS

Need to change my password NOW, and where is a DBA when you really need one

I'm attempting to teach myself SQL using the book "Murach's Oracle SQL and PL/SQL". They recommended downloading Oracle Express Edition. I downloaded Express Edition 11g. The book says it's applicable with all versions through 11g.
      Anyway, last Sunday I got a warning message, "ORA - 28002: The password will expire within 7 days.
      28002.00000 - "the password will expire within %s days"
      *Cause: The user's account is about to expire and the password needs to be changed
      *Action: change the password or contact the DBA
      Vendor code 28002
      I don't have a DBA; I'm trying to learn this stuff on my own. I've been corresponding with the book's author. He's been having me try different stuff
      (ALTER PROFILE DEFAULT LIMIT PASSWORD_LIFE_TIME UNLIMITED;
      SELECT PROFILE FROM DBA_USERS WHERE USERNAME = SYSTEM;
      ALTER PROFILE <PROFILE_NAME> LIMIT PASSWORD_LIFE_TIME UNLIMITED; ) None of this worked. He finally wrote that I should access the Database Home Page to change the password for the existing users.
      Problem is, from the Oracle Database 10g Express Edition -> Go to Database Home Page, and that's not an option in my Oracle Database 11g Express Edition; my options are Get Help, Backup Database, Get Started, Restore Database, Run SQL Command Line, Start Database, and Stop Database.
      How can I change my password so my database doesn't lock up? The database is on my home computer, so if I can set it up so there is no password expiration time that would be preferrable.
      Thank you in advance for your help.
        • 1. Re: Need to change my password NOW, and where is a DBA when you really need one
          clcarter
          Updating the profile after a password has expired is like closing the barn door after all the cows have left.

Sure, the new cows won't be able to leave, new users created with the unlimited profile won't get the expired password problem but the 'escaped' cows still need to be fixed. Use a system or /as sysdba connection and set a new value for the user password.
          sqlplus /nolog
          conn /as sysdba
          ... connected ...
          alter user <username> identified by <new password> account unlock;
          conn <username>
          ... password ...
          ... connected ...
          alter user <username> identified by <a different password>;
          As soon as system (or sysdba) or any user with the DBA role fixes the user account <username> should be good to go. And can set his/her own password as well. Its your database, you get to be the DBA.

Edited by: clcarter on Dec 3, 2012 12:57 PM
          fix code tag typos