This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 1:18 PM by onedbguru RSS

Rman backup

$phinx19 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

DB:10.2.0.4

I have just made a backup of my database using rman using the following command:
backup database plus archivelog;
I just want to clarify the below mentioned points as i am not very familiar with rman:

1.During backup, first the a log switch is done and then all the archives are backed up and this results in the creation of very first backup piece.
2.Then the datafiles are backed up in the next backup piece.
3. Finally another log switch is done and the remaining archives are backed up and the controlfile and spfile are also backed up in the same piece.
4. So does this means that whenever i backup with archives rman generates 3 backup piece everytime?

Kinldy clarify...

Thanks
Sphinx
  • 1. Re: Rman backup
    EdStevens Guru
    $phinx19 wrote:
    Hi All,

I have just made a backup of my database using rman using the following command:
    I just want to clarify the below mentioned points as i am not very familiar with rman:

1.During backup, first the a log switch is done and then all the archives are backed up and this results in the creation of very first backup piece.
    3. Finally another log switch is done and the remaining archives are backed up and the controlfile and spfile are also backed up in the same piece.
    4. So does this means that whenever i backup with archives rman generates 3 backup piece everytime?

Kinldy clarify...

Thanks
    Sphinx
    If you specified a log file for rman, you could examine that and see exactly what it did .. no guessing.
    If you connect with rman and issue 'LIST BACKUP', you'll get a full listing of all backup pieces. Examine that.
  • 2. Re: Rman backup
    EdStevens Guru
    $phinx19 wrote:
    Hi All,

I strongly recommend you locate and purchase a copy of 'RMAN Backup and Recovery' by Hart and Freeman.

And then study it.

While the official oracle docs are the definitive reference, sometimes they can be overwhelming for a beginner to whatever subject they cover. I found the Hart book to be very good at getting me up to speed. After reading it, the official docs were much more approachable.
    >

Kinldy clarify...

Thanks
    Sphinx
  • 3. Re: Rman backup
    onedbguru Pro
    $phinx19 wrote:
    Hi All,

No, sometimes it is more. It is dependent on MAX PIECE SIZE, size of the database, number of archivelogs and bunch of other "it depends"...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points