This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2012 10:02 AM by 966897 RSS

Booting Time

966897 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Recently I have been showing my friends my Oracle Linux notebooks. Strangely a lot of people are intriged by it (in the past I have tried to get them to be interested in other Linux desktops but had very little success). I suppose not the least of all the reasons is that Mr. Larry Ellison is "moving to Hawaii" (he just bought one of the islands here), and using Oracle Linux is one of the ways to welcome Mr. Ellison as one of our fellow residents.

Everything seems to be working OK, but the booting time is about one minute. This is a little long for a recent day notebook. With a properly configured Ubuntu 12.04, I can do a cold boot in less than 20 seconds. Thus, I was wondering where I can find info that talks about reducing Oracle Linux booting time? Thanks.

Edited by: Ping-Wu on Nov 30, 2012 11:31 AM
  • 1. Re: Booting Time
    user12611628 Explorer
    See if this kexec feature helps:
    https://blogs.oracle.com/wim/tags/kexec
  • 2. Re: Booting Time
    845849 Newbie
    Ping-Wu wrote:

Everything seems to be working OK, but the booting time is about one minute. This is a little long for a recent day notebook. With a properly configured Ubuntu 12.04, I can do a cold boot in less than 20 seconds. Thus, I was wondering where I can find info that talks about reducing Oracle Linux booting time? Thanks.
    Likely because you have many services running? Oracle Linux is used by a lot of server users, and thus many network daemons are enabled by default.

You may want to check which services are running by going to:

System -> Administration -> Services

Rayson
  • 3. Re: Booting Time
    966897 Newbie
    Rayson wrote:
    Ping-Wu wrote:

Likely because you have many services running? Oracle Linux is used by a lot of server users, and thus many network daemons are enabled by default.

You may want to check which services are running by going to:

System -> Administration -> Services

Rayson
    Oracle Linux appears pretty lean, many services were disabled by default, and the only service I was able to additionally disable was bluetooth.

Actually Oracle Linux booting time is not bad at all; it is comparable to Windows, but only seems slow when compared to Ubuntu. Also, since I normally only suspend my laptop instead of powering it off, booting time is not an issue most of the time.

I have used Fedora and/or Ubuntu desktops for many years, I know many will think I am crazy to consider switching to Oracle as my primary desktop OS, but it is not as bad as we may first think. Any suggestion and/or unselfish offering of your own "user experience" will be appreciated! Thanks.

Edited by: Ping-Wu on Dec 2, 2012 8:01 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points