2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2012 9:24 PM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

RMAN backup sets validating check...

I have 7 database on different servers. I took full rman backup on daily basis. And daily morning i check the log to verify whether the backup task was successful. My question is:

1. When i saw at the bottom of log Recovery Manager complete. , it means backup is successful and this backup could be used for any restore operation. I have restored 1/2 time in a month in different server to check if that backup can be restored when it will be most necessary. But i heard a experience dba saying....It is the most important to restore the backup every day to check whether the backup is ok. Is it really true???? If yes, then i need to spend the whole day to check the validity.

2.There are some command to check for rman backup validity. Are they equally effective to restore the backup completely in my test system??

3.What are the commands that i could use to check the validity of rman backups and archivelogs??

• 1. Re: RMAN backup sets validating check...
          Shivananda Rao

You can use the below command to check the validity of the backup
          RMAN>restore database validate;
          This command does not restore the database, but checks if the backups can be used to perform the restore.

Similarly, you have the "backup..validate" command which checks datafiles for physical and logical block corruption but here RMAN would not be producing any backup sets.

Refer this http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/backup.111/b28270/rcmvalid.htm in order to get a clear picture.

Handle:     user8983130
          Status Level:     Newbie
          Total Posts:     189
          Total Questions:     77 (27 unresolved)
          If you feel that your questions have been answered, then please consider closing them by providing appropriate points and marking them as answered.
          • 2. Re: RMAN backup sets validating check...
            Hemant K Chitale
            Besides the RESTORE DATABASE VALIDATE command, you must also run RESTORE ARCHIVELOG VALIDATE.

See http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.sg/2010/03/misinterpreting-restore-database.html

Hemant K Chitale