6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 7:37 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

CHARACTER SET FOR LOCAL LANGUAGE

Hello Experts,

I am using oracle 10 g database on windows xp. I have backup of data contains data in local language (Marathi). I want read this data in oracle itself.Is it possible ?? If yes then how?
      Which character set need to choose??

PLease help me.

Thanks and regards
      Vivek

Edited by: vivek on Dec 2, 2012 1:12 AM
        • 1. Re: CHARACTER SET FOR LOCAL LANGUAGE
          Hello,

I have creates one database with character set IN8ISCII. But when execute the command SELECT
          FROM v$nls_parameters;* it gives the output as below :

PARAMETER     VALUE
          NLS_LANGUAGE     AMERICAN
          NLS_TERRITORY     AMERICA
          NLS_CURRENCY     $
          NLS_ISO_CURRENCY     AMERICA
          NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS     .,
          NLS_CALENDAR     GREGORIAN
          NLS_DATE_FORMAT     DD-MON-RR
          NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE     AMERICAN
          NLS_CHARACTERSET     IN8ISCII
          NLS_SORT     BINARY
          NLS_TIME_FORMAT     HH.MI.SSXFF AM
          NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT     DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM
          NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT     HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR
          NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT     DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR
          NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY     $
          NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET     AL16UTF16
          NLS_COMP     BINARY
          NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS     BYTE
          NLS_NCHAR_CONV_EXCP     FALSE

I tried the queries of alter session to chane the nls language,nls_sort,nls_territory but t gives same result.

Thnaks
          • 2. Re: CHARACTER SET FOR LOCAL LANGUAGE
            Srini Chavali-Oracle
            Pl identify exact database version ( to 4 digits ) along with details of how this "backup" of data was taken. Pl also elaborate on what you mean by "read this data in oracle itself".

AL32UTF8 characterset is capable of storing Marathi and many other languages.

http://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/supplemental/languages_and_scripts.html
            What languages are supported in an Unicode (UTF8/AL32UTF8) database? [ID 1051824.6]

You state that you created a database with characterset IN8ISCII - your resulting query output is correct since NLS_CHARACTERSET is set to IN8ISCII - were you expecting something different ?

HTH
            Srini
            • 3. Re: CHARACTER SET FOR LOCAL LANGUAGE
              Hello,

Thank you for reply.
              I am using oracle 10.2.0 database and I have backup of SQL Server 2000 having Marathi Content. I have converted this data in oracle. Now I want to see this data in Marathi.

When I queried for table having marathi content then it gives output *?????????????* . I read on internet that if character not found in character set then oracle shows *?* instead of that character.
              • 4. Re: CHARACTER SET FOR LOCAL LANGUAGE
                Hi,

As mentioned in your reply I have created database with AL32UTF8 character set. But its not working.
                • 5. Re: CHARACTER SET FOR LOCAL LANGUAGE
                  Hi,

As mentioned in your reply I have created database with AL32UTF8 character set. But it doesn't work.
                  • 6. Re: CHARACTER SET FOR LOCAL LANGUAGE
                    Srini Chavali-Oracle
                    vivek wrote:
                    Hello,

Thank you for reply.
                    I am using oracle 10.2.0 database and I have backup of SQL Server 2000 having Marathi Content. I have converted this data in oracle. Now I want to see this data in Marathi.
                    Pl identify exact steps taken to "convert this data in Oracle". After the "conversion", how was this data inserted into the database ?
                    When I queried for table having marathi content then it gives output *?????????????* . I read on internet that if character not found in character set then oracle shows *?* instead of that character.
                    I do not believe this is an issue with the database - rather it likely is an issue with the "conversion" or the method used to insert the data into the database.

HTH
                    Srini