This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 5:38 AM by riosg RSS

Installing HFM on new VM environments and SQL database.

riosg Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am new to HFM. I am using HFM 11.1.1.3.500 and I had the databases restored to new SQL server. I am installing HFM on new VMs. I spoke with Oracle support and the tech told me I could reinstall and run the EPM System Configurator and configure to new SQL server. I am trying to configure Workspace, Reporting and Analysis, using the EPM System Configurator and when the components screen comes up, it shows the old Servername for Workspace, Finanacial Reporting, and Web Analysis. How do I get those Server names changed to new VM. All other products installed correctly.
  • 1. Re: Installing HFM on new VM environments and SQL database.
    hyperionEPM Journeyer
    Hello,
    For the components apart from Shared Service you can select 'Perform first time Configuration' and Modify the related info there. Once you click next EPM System configurator will ask if you want to 'Drop' or 'Reuse', select the 'Resuse' option and configure Database.

For Shared Service you can take a backup of reg.properties, delete it and then run Configurator which will then ask for the Shared service information and will create new reg.properties file.

Thanks,
    HyperionEPM
    Please mark answers as helpful or correct for others to find easily

Edited by: hyperionEPM on Dec 5, 2012 1:41 AM
  • 2. Re: Installing HFM on new VM environments and SQL database.
    riosg Newbie
    How about doing a restore from production to a DR site. Do you know which tables I should restore that will keep the DR site working when restoring the databases,(ie...HFM,CALC, BIPLUS, EPMA, EXT, FDM)? Would I have to just keep the HFM, HSV, and HSX tables in HFM database?
  • 3. Re: Installing HFM on new VM environments and SQL database.
    VenkatKuravarapu Newbie
    I am little bit confused. Are you trying to install new environment ? and migrate the application to that environment from existing one.

If that's case, just install on VM and configure with new schemas. I will configure one component at a time starting SharedServices so that it goes to different schema for each product (which is a best practice). Once environment is up, you should be able to copy the from existing HFM DB using copy utility. Typically this will be under HFM Server directory.

Don't try to copy the HFM tables from old to new. use HFMAPP COPY utility.

I hope this will be helpful

Regards
    VK

Edited by: user6481343 on Dec 10, 2012 8:10 PM

Edited by: user6481343 on Dec 10, 2012 8:10 PM
  • 4. Re: Installing HFM on new VM environments and SQL database.
    riosg Newbie
    VM,
    yes, i am setting up two new VMs, copying over HSS database reconfiguring the application to point to new HSS database.
  • 5. Re: Installing HFM on new VM environments and SQL database.
    JohnGoodwin Oracle ACE
    Just follow the steps documented in "How To Change Shared Services Database Repository in EPM 11 [ID 976279.1]"
    For the rest of products copy the database then reconfigure them in the EPM configurator.

Cheers

John
    http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
  • 6. Re: Installing HFM on new VM environments and SQL database.
    riosg Newbie
    i tried to reconfigure but for some reason the configurations migrated to my production environments. Does anyone have documentation on how to setup a DR environment for EPM 11.1.1.3? I have two new VMs and I can restore the databases if that is the way to go. We are using AD and have setup AD groups for provisioning. I have tried to restore the databases and after reconfigurations, i could not access the applications. I was getting a communication error while trying to access the applicaitons. I am stumped.
  • 7. Re: Installing HFM on new VM environments and SQL database.
    621032 Oracle ACE
    I would generally very much suggest you never migrate the HSS database. Reconfiguring an existing system to use a copy is one thing. Trying to bring up a new system off of a restore of HSS is not something I would every recommend.

From a data synchronization or migration perspective it is very safe to take a copy of HFM, FDQM, and Planning databases (presuming you follow some post configuraiton updates).

I generally like to have security and reports migrated via Lifecycle Management (LCM). The thing about the Shared Services and BIPlus DB's is they refer server names in various portions and I'm not so trusting of doing a reconfiguration on those items.

Regards,

John A. Booth
    http://www.metavero.com
  • 8. Re: Installing HFM on new VM environments and SQL database.
    riosg Newbie
    Thanks John Booth,
    We are using AD for Security and I reinstalled the applicaiton from scratch. I setup AD and the groups with Provisioning manually, copied over the applications with the Copy Utility, restored the FDM databases, and exported and imported the Reports. Since I'm new to this app, i asked Oracle support how to do this and they suggested restoring the databases, then setting up shells databases, configuring the app then restoring the databases and finally copying the Hyperion Home folders, restoring the databases then configuring, which all didn't work and they didn't know how to fix the errors I was getting. This was a headache for the last month!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points