3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2012 12:13 PM by nnarimanov RSS

Creating a Database with only RMAN backup

Hi,

I have a RMAN full backup of a 10g database(10.2.0.1) in RHEL5 server. This backup has only backup piece does not include SP file and control file. I want to create a new database with this backup in a new server. Is this possible??? How to proceed further??

Regards,
        • 1. Re: Creating a Database with only RMAN backup
          mseberg
          Hello;

The control file is going to be an issue.

Even if you have CONTROLFILE AUTOBAKUP set to OFF, any backup including system tablespace should include a current control file backup.

Find it and use this :
          RMAN>RESTORE CONTROLFILE FROM '/backup_dir/piece_name';
          Autobackup is not available but controlfile backupset is available
          rman target /
          startup nomount;
          restore controlfile from <backupset_location>;
          alter database mount;
          restore database; --required if datafile(s) have been added after the backup
          recover database;
          alter database open resetlogs; 
          If you can find the control file this may help :

RMAN recovery to a different server when nocatalog is available

http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/rman/restore_database_without_catalog.html

Best Regards

mseberg
          • 2. Re: Creating a Database with only RMAN backup
            Shivananda Rao
            Hello,

Refer this You can take a look at this http://shivanandarao.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/duplicating-primary-database-to-a-new-host-without-connecting-to-the-primary-database-in-oracle-10g11g/

RMAN automatically backs up spfile and controlfile in the backup of datafile 1 (SYSTEM datafile). So, you can restore them from the backup piece that is having the system datafile.
            4.3.5 Backing Up Control Files with RMAN
            http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/bkup003.htm#i1009642

Handle:      007
            Status Level:      Newbie (25)
            Total Posts:      272
            Total Questions:      154 (123 unresolved)
            Name      Khanth
            Location      India
            Occupation      Junior DBA
            I feel unhappy when you do not close your threads if they have been answered. If you feel that the threads have been answered, then please consider closing them by providing appropriate points and marking them as answered. Please keep the forum clean !!

Regards,
            Shivananda
            • 3. Re: Creating a Database with only RMAN backup
              nnarimanov
              You can create controlfile, if you know the names of datafiles, DB characterset and national characterset, in other words you can simulate a controlfile. After this step just force a "catalog" via rman.

Regards