5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 8:11 AM by William Phelps RSS

Schema Publishing issue in Oracle UCM 11g

Hi All,

I am facing a issue related with publishing a schema values on UCM interface. Following are the steps I performed but automatic schema publishing is not happening:

Create a Custom table in UCM
      Create a corresponding View
      Map the meta-data field of type (Edit and Select list) with above created view
      Created a custom service which inserts values in above created table

As per UCM's schema publishing feature, values are getting populated in table and View but the values are not getting reflected on UCM interface automatically(in the drop down).

But when I go to Administration -> Admin Actions -> [publish schema configuration and data] and click on it then refresh the browser, then values are getting reflected in the drop down.

Any one have any suggestion, how these values can publish automatically in the drop down without any UCM Admin's interaction?

Your help is highly appreciated !!
      Thanks in Advance

Regards
      Ram
        • 1. Re: Schema Publishing issue in Oracle UCM 11g
          ryan sullivan2
          I'd turn on the publish related trace sections to see if there are any errors. you can also see when the publish actually runs after making those value updates.

I wouldn't be surprised if the publisher is running immediately after you update the values, but your browser is caching the previous values. that's an often encountered situation.

-ryan
          • 2. Re: Schema Publishing issue in Oracle UCM 11g
            Hi Ryan,
            Thanks for your reply. I am not seeing any publishing related error in trace. Also I noticed that publishing happens after 2 minutes, as per default UCM's publishing interval.

Any idea why these values are not getting refreshed on UCM interface? or I have to do any configurations for this?

Regards
            Ram
            • 3. Re: Schema Publishing issue in Oracle UCM 11g
              William Phelps
              879506 wrote:Any idea why these values are not getting refreshed on UCM interface? or I have to do any configurations for this?
              There's a very good reason why the values are not getting updated. The system hasn't been properly "told" there was a change to the data, so it doesn't determine that it needs to go back and look at the table. Clicking the link for the publishing process "tells" (or just simply "forces") the system to go look up all of the data.

Your custom service that is being used to actually populate the schema table needs to "notify" the "schema" subject that something has changed. In Component Wizard, when you defined your service, there was a box marked "Subjects Notified". You should enter "schema" in the box for the service that does the insert/delete of data into your table.

While it's clear that new services and interfaces can be created to manipulating data, the system already provides such tools out of the box. Using the provided out-of-box tools usually avoids the problems you are seeing. If you don't have a driving reason to create a custom interface, what's the business reason where the user can't use the standard interfaces?
              • 4. Re: Schema Publishing issue in Oracle UCM 11g
                Hi William,

Thank you so much for this post. This helps me to resolve the issue.

The business reason behind this requirement is, user wants to update the value of Custom meta-data(drop down) automatically without the involvement of any Administrator.

Thanks Again.

Regards
                Ram
                • 5. Re: Schema Publishing issue in Oracle UCM 11g
                  William Phelps
                  Thank you so much for this post. This helps me to resolve the issue.
                  Please award points if the solution solves the issue. :-)
                  The business reason behind this requirement is, user wants to update the value of Custom meta-data(drop down) automatically without the involvement of any Administrator.
                  This is usually a bad idea, because users can add values to the list that are irrelevant/redundant, or worse, change/remove values that only one user thinks is bad, but the value is actually used quite frequently, and such a change/removal can cause other unintended side effects.

For example, what if you have a workflow based on this field as a criteria field, then someone changes/removes one of the values, and documents no longer go into workflow? Experience shows that taxonomy structures and values should be controlled to make them most useful to the widest audience.