This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 5:54 AM by EdStevens RSS

Parameters for Oracle VirtualBox to install Linux for Oracle Database Servr

829559 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I've been using the oracle OS to run the Oracle database as described at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.htm.

However, I'm having trouble using yum to install other linux applications -- I think it is because the oracle OS does point yum to a valid repository.

If I want to install an open source generic Linux distro (like fedora or redhat or SuSe or Debian or ubuntu) to run the oracle database server, which one would you recommend?

What are the minimum parameters for configuring Oracle Virtual Box for such a distro? I know I need a value for memory and disk space. I cannot remember what else.

My host OS is Windows 8.
  • 1. Re: Parameters for Oracle VirtualBox to install Linux for Oracle Database Servr
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    user8816970 wrote:
    I've been using the oracle OS to run the Oracle database as described at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.htm.
    Pl post exact OS and database versions.
    However, I'm having trouble using yum to install other linux applications -- I think it is because the oracle OS does point yum to a valid repository.
    What is the exact nature of the "trouble" ? Any error code and messages ?

>
    If I want to install an open source generic Linux distro (like fedora or redhat or SuSe or Debian or ubuntu) to run the oracle database server, which one would you recommend?
    Supported OS versions are documented in Install docs at http://docs.oracle.com
    What are the minimum parameters for configuring Oracle Virtual Box for such a distro? I know I need a value for memory and disk space. I cannot remember what else.
    Check the Install docs at http://docs.oracle.com
    My host OS is Windows 8.
    Pl ensure that Virtualbox can be installed on Win 8

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Parameters for Oracle VirtualBox to install Linux for Oracle Database Servr
    EdStevens Guru
    user8816970 wrote:

Perhaps you should 'work the error' instead of punting. I run multiple Oracle Linux servers under Virtual Box on my Win 7 Home Premium lapton.

I'm guessing you are having a network config problem, but without more details, that's only a guess.

I'd recommend you use Oracle linux and work through your problems. I doubt very, very very seriously that trying a different linux distro will help.

My host OS is Windows 8.
  • 3. Re: Parameters for Oracle VirtualBox to install Linux for Oracle Database Servr
    829559 Newbie
    Thanks for the responses.

I'm reluctant to mark any responses as "the answer" because I just got the oracle VM appliance to work thanks to a response in another posting (I got yum working!) and I lost a lot of motivation to make this approach (using fedora) work and verify that those links have the information I need (and actually try it out).

I'm still curious and hope that I'll have time in the future to check out those links and make fedora/redhat, Ubuntu or SuSe work with virtual box and oracle database.

Siegfried
  • 4. Re: Parameters for Oracle VirtualBox to install Linux for Oracle Database Servr
    EdStevens Guru
    user8816970 wrote:
    Thanks for the responses.

I'm reluctant to mark any responses as "the answer" because I just got the oracle VM appliance to work thanks to a response in another posting (I got yum working!) and I lost a lot of motivation to make this approach (using fedora) work and verify that those links have the information I need (and actually try it out).

I'm still curious and hope that I'll have time in the future to check out those links and make fedora/redhat, Ubuntu or SuSe work with virtual box and oracle database.

Siegfried
    From an Oracle perspective I find this perplexing. You know which distros are certified to run Oracle products. Why waste your time with others?

As for Ubuntu ... I really don't know what it's issue is. I've tried several times to run it under VBox, just to try out a 'desktop' oriented Linux (as opposed to a 'server' oriented one). Even though VBox claims to support Ubuntu, I've never got it to work in anything close to an acceptable manner. I've heard from others that it's not a 'real' linux. Perhaps I could get it to work, but have a hard time justifying the time it would take.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points