This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 8:38 PM by BillyVerreynne Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: My Silver is Gone
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    Purvesh K wrote:
    Billy, not sure what makes you think of it. But, it was just something "Abnormal" I noticed and commented. And I never knew such observations would Offend you to great lengths.
    No offence meant. Do not take it literally. It is an English expression that means that you are now like the rest of us "poor suffering unappreciated old-timers" here. Suppose to put a smile on your face and not a frown on your forehead. I was poking fun at regulars and you seemingly fitting into that role with your Jive comment. :-)
  • 16. Re: My Silver is Gone
    Purvesh K Guru
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    No offence meant. Do not take it literally. It is an English expression that means that you are now like the rest of us "poor suffering unappreciated old-timers" here. Suppose to put a smile on your face and not a frown on your forehead. I was poking fun at regulars and you seemingly fitting into that role with your Jive comment. :-)
    I am sorry to take it literally Billy. Probably because English not being my first Language. :)
  • 17. Re: My Silver is Gone
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Dude wrote:
    Never noticed a difference myself. There again, many of the regulars round here don't care about the points and the badges.
    I got the impression from several discussions with a similar topic that it's considered silly and poor to care about it, which I find somewhat discriminatory.

I think the scoring system is part of the game and I'm not sure that the thrill to receive a new icon ends with 2500 points. The new system may encourage new participants to provide useful answers to questions, but I think provides less visibility for "Gurus".
    Not sure how that would help... from experience, many new participants use the points system as an excuse to provide poor answers as quickly as possible to try and beat others into getting points so they can boost their ego with the badges (turnips or whatever you like to think they look like :D )
  • 18. Re: My Silver is Gone
    jgarry Guru
    That's been my complaint - the gaming is counterproductive to the desired result of quality answers. I think that is an under-appreciated more general problem in the application of gaming concepts in the [url https://blogs.oracle.com/Gamification/entry/welcome_to_the_gamification_blog]wider software world, not to mention [url http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-can-1-million-people-be-this-dumb-2012-08-22]meatspace.
  • 19. Re: My Silver is Gone
    Dude! Guru
    Based on my observation, the quality of answers marked as correct or helpful varies among forum categories. It seems to me that forums with a general category tend to pay more respect or attention to answers from people with badges, compared to forums with a more specialized category. However, I would not necessarily assume that the OP is generally not able to provide proper judgement of answers.

I think what matters to the forum are people's contribution and not motivation. To my understanding, to assume that someone who likes to receive points for answers or a badge has an inadequate ego to participate promotes a specific mindset and is wrong. People provide low quality answers regardless of badges or status, and I have not seen evidence so far that the reward system has a negative influence. I think it is rather the opposite.
  • 20. Re: My Silver is Gone
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Purvesh K wrote:

I am sorry to take it literally Billy. Probably because English not being my first Language. :)
    No problem mate, English is not my first language either and I have a heck of a time getting grammar, like singular versus plural, correct. ;-)
1 2 Previous Next