This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 5:58 AM by Prabodh RSS

Configuring APEX environment

RideTheStorm Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I have a series of questions to establish access to APEX. The option to use OHS has been discarded. We want to use a separate apache and have trouble configuring mod_plsql. The license for mod_plsql indicates that it should not be used in this way. There is a valid alternative?

Regards,
  • 1. Re: Configuring APEX environment
    912156 Newbie
    Using apex listener is the easiest way. If your users is not that many, it works just as good as other options. But if you need support huge amount of users I guess either OWL or apache will be the best choice.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex-listener/overview/index.html
  • 2. Re: Configuring APEX environment
    RideTheStorm Newbie
    I have seen that there is an alternative to mod_plsql named mod_owa, but I haven't found any case of success or reference a real case about it. It really is a valid alternative?

It's the open source version of mod_plsql, see https://oss.oracle.com/projects/mod_owa/dist/documentation/modowa.htm. But using a module like this can engage in bugs or unexpected behavior.
  • 3. Re: Configuring APEX environment
    jflack Oracle ACE
    mod_owa works, but it is not entirely compatible with mod_plsql. The differences are fairly minor so I'm not sure if you can run APEX with mod_owa. (I'm an APEX Listener user, but not an APEX user - weird as that may sound.) I'd stick with the APEX Listener or mod_plsql if I were you - either is guaranteed to work with APEX.
  • 4. Re: Configuring APEX environment
    RideTheStorm Newbie
    Thanks jflack, (=

It seems that at first, Apex Listener was discarded by licensing issues. I researched about it but I am a little confused. If Apex Listener uses WebLogic, do I have to license WebLogic server? As I read, Apex license includes WebLogic, hence we don't need to license Weblogic and it's free of charge, it's correct??
  • 5. Re: Configuring APEX environment
    Prabodh Guru
    It seems that at first, Apex Listener was discarded by licensing issues. I researched about it but I am a little confused. If Apex Listener uses WebLogic, do I have to license WebLogic server? As I read, Apex license includes WebLogic, hence we don't need to license Weblogic and it's free of charge, it's correct??
    Apex is free. It runs on XE which is also free.
    ApexListener is free.
    Weblogic (WLS) is one of the Oracle Supported JEE containers in which you can deploy ApexListener. WLS is a licensed product.
    The other Oracle Supported JEE containers are Glassfish (licensed) and OC4J. ApexListener can also be run in standalone mode, though this is not recommended for Production environments.

ApexListerner also runs on other non-Oracle Supported JEE containers like Glassfish Community server (Open Source), Tomcat,etc. By non-supported it means that you cannot raise an SR on Oracle for these, you have to depend on this forum and consultants if you get into some issues.

Cheers,

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points