This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2012 9:13 PM by Justin Cave Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Is there any other login utility for oracle database other than sqlplus?
    EdStevens Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    karthiksingh_dba wrote:
    I need to login remote DB writing a shell script where our DB is on a separate node, i have to test the script only with
    "shell script"?
    Yes which i can easily put in an crontab and schedule it. My logic and other sql codes are ready to work, except the login.
    SCHEMA USERNAME
    PASSWORD
    HOSTNAME
    PORT NO
    SID/SERVICE NAME
    these details. May be am wrong to ask this question but i need to login and check the requirement.
    If actual task is to verify/test connection with given details, sqlplus should be a perfect fit, even no tnsnames needed:
    Yes off course i agree, but without sqlplus utility in SOA weblogic server i need to test it.
    Is there any other anyway to login without sqlplus utility?
    Why? Please explain.
    Without a oracle client is it possible to login to DB? Because i dont have the unix box OS level user access.
    You have to have some kind of client software that knows how to talk to Oracle. You say you "dont have the unix box OS level user access", but yet you "can easily put in an crontab and schedule it". Something just doesn't add up here. If you don't have access, how can you put your script in crontab?
  • 16. Re: Is there any other login utility for oracle database other than sqlplus?
    karthiksingh_dba Explorer
    Hi Steve,
    You have to have some kind of client software that knows how to talk to Oracle. You say you "dont have the unix box OS level user access", but yet you "can easily put in an crontab and schedule it". Something just doesn't add up here. If you don't have access, how can you put your script in crontab?
    Yes off course now am doing the same process using sqlplus in a dev instance which i have o/s level access and i can do whatever i need. but the other one is the production which i dont have o/s level access to test it out, for that only i am trying to login without sqlplus or finding a way without sqlplus login.

Nothing problem steve i understood that i need any one client which will talk to oracle.

Thanks a lot
    Regards,
    Karthik
  • 17. Re: Is there any other login utility for oracle database other than sqlplus?
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    If you have a process that works in dev, why wouldn't you simply promote that process up to the other environments? Surely, if you don't have access to the operating system, someone else does (i.e. the systems administrator). And surely there is a process you can follow to get code promoted from one environment to another. Surely the developers that write stored procedures in your database aren't allowed to promote their code to production. But that doesn't prevent them from writing code and getting it to production-- they just have to follow the proper procedures. Surely those procedures work for you as well.

Justin
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points