6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2012 5:45 PM by tillie RSS

Interactive Report - download to PDF, fixed column widths-- why

tillie
      We are using 4.1.1.00.23, we have just installed the Apache/FOP solution to download our Interactive Reports to PDF.
      The issue is that it seems that no matter what we do the column widths become evenly distributed in the downloaded report. When the report only has 5-8 columns this is ok, doesn't look as good as we would like but it is ok. The problem comes when we have many columns, then all of the columns get shrunk down to these little columns that become totally useless.

Also, it appears that no matter what page size I define in the Page Attributes it sizes the columns to fit on an standard page (8.5x11).

The question I guess is: Is there a way to download an Interactive Report to PDF, that looks exactly like the report that is displayed for the Interactive Report?

We have been looking at lots of the documentation and fear we are missing something because it appears that most solutions talk about creating a "Shared Component" Report Query and Report Layout, which when you have a hundred interactive reports seems crazy....why can't we just download what we see on the screen.

If there was a way to put Headers/Footers on HTML download, then we would not need to do this, but I have not found a way to do that either.
        • 1. Re: Interactive Report - download to PDF, fixed column widths-- why
          TexasApexDeveloper
          Instead of using the default Apache/FOP method, you MIGHT look at this plugin as a possible solution:

http://www.apex-plugin.com/oracle-apex-plugins/region-plugin/embedded-pdf_65.html

Thank you,

Tony Miller
          Ruckersville, VA
          • 2. Re: Interactive Report - download to PDF, fixed column widths-- why
            tillie
            That all sounded promising until we were reading the comments and it says:
            @Kasbanby Anton Schefferon March 23, 2011
            No, there's no user manual, it's very easy to use it. Just create a new region, based on this plugin, enter a query for the region source. Done. And regarding your question about a printout of a total interactive report: I have no idea. (And it can't be done with this plugin)

We have also tried the Reports 2 PDF plugin without success.
            • 3. Re: Interactive Report - download to PDF, fixed column widths-- why
              TexasApexDeveloper
              What is the issue you are running into? There are alternatives that allow you to build a report layout in ireports and produce a PDF..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
              Ruckersville, VA
              • 4. Re: Interactive Report - download to PDF, fixed column widths-- why
                tillie
                From our understanding, it looks like we would have to create another report for each of our existing Interactive Reports, which would be a JasperReport or something.

We know there is something with the XSL-FO templates, is that what iReports can do for us? Really this is a new world for me, so I do fear that I might be asking my question wrong.

Like I said maybe we are missing something. We were able to get the FOP to work, but the problem with that is all of the columns are evenly distributed widths. On some reports, which have many columns, there could be a name column that needs to display 50 characters, but then the next field only has 5 characters. It appears that without creating an additional report or report layout for each report we cannot print the results of the interactive report.

Maybe I am completely missing something in all of this, but I find it hard to believe that we have to create multiple versions of a report just to be able to print it. If we had just wanted to create a static report, then I would have continued using Oracle Reports, like we have for the last 20yrs.
                • 5. Re: Interactive Report - download to PDF, fixed column widths-- why
                  TexasApexDeveloper
                  If you want to use FOP with Interactive reports, you are pretty much stuck with the default layout. What I would suggest involves developing new layouts to support PDF generation with most reports in APEX. At this time, interactive reports are not open enough to allow you to format the FOP based layouts very well..

What I have done is using 3rd party reporting tools with APEX (BI Publisher, FOP with an XSL-Style sheet editor, Crystal Reports) is define the layout and add a button the report to print to PDF...

The issue with is is, if a user has a custom version of the report (custom columns added or columns removed) the external layout will not see this..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
                  Ruckersville, VA
                  • 6. Re: Interactive Report - download to PDF, fixed column widths-- why
                    tillie
                    That has been my fear, our users all want to be able to see different sets of columns, this is why the Interactive Reports were so attractive to us.

We could be happy with the HTML download option, if it was possible to have headers because we have to label the reports to say they have sensitive data.

I guess at this point unless we want to re-develop all of the reports in another tool, then we will just need to live with the CSV and HTML download options.

Thanks for your help.

I guess the outstanding question now would be is there some way to get headers to download with the HTML download option from Interactive reports?