This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 9:55 AM by Joe Weinstein RSS

Oracle JDBC driver and Weblogic Active Grid Link

902884 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

What advantage does Active Grid Link offer over Oracle JDBC driver Implicit connection cache (ICC) ?
Does Oracle Oracle JDBC driver Implicit connection cache support XA ?
Is it recommended to use Multi Data Source over JDBC driver load balancing and failover features in real world ?
What specific advantage does Active Grid Link offer over oracle FCF ?

regards
  • 1. Re: Oracle JDBC driver and Weblogic Active Grid Link
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    What advantage does Active Grid Link offer over Oracle JDBC driver Implicit connection cache (ICC) ?
    Does Oracle Oracle JDBC driver Implicit connection cache support XA ?
    Is it recommended to use Multi Data Source over JDBC driver load balancing and failover features in real world ?
    What specific advantage does Active Grid Link offer over oracle FCF ?
    >
    Why don't you start by providing the context of your questions and what it is you are trying to understand?

Do you have a specific issue or problem you are working on? Or a particular architecture you are trying to build?

The reason I ask is because you are mixing terms together in a way that doesn't even make any sense.

Active Grid Link
    1. intentionally uses a single data source to avoid the limitations of the multi data source
    2. provides fast connection failover - so asking what advantages it has over it is a meaningless question.
    3. supports XA
    4. is specific to WebLogic Server and RAC

I suggest you read through this article: How-To: Use Oracle WebLogic Server with a JDBC GridLink Data Source
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/weblogic/wls-jdbc-gridlink-howto-333331.html

After you have done that provide some specific information about what your are trying to do and maybe we can provide some clarification.
  • 2. Re: Oracle JDBC driver and Weblogic Active Grid Link
    902884 Newbie
    Hi

I am working on a POC and need to justify if i would be needing Weblogic or i go with something like glassfish.
    Well Active Grid is built using ONS and FCF so can i not build something like that using glassfish and oracle supplied JDBC drivers ?

Why oracle says use multidata source feature of weblogic over the jdbc driver failover ?
    Can i not use glassfish and get the same benefit of multidata source ?

regards
  • 3. Re: Oracle JDBC driver and Weblogic Active Grid Link
    Joe Weinstein Expert
    Driver failover doesn't handle the computational or transactional context of the application.
    It is decidedly not transparent as further use of existing statements and result sets may fail.

Driver-level failover is per connection, each having to go through the process as/when used, which may take considerable time. Middleware-based failover switches at the pool level, so all subsequent continued use is immediately back at production speed. Middleware load-balancing, particularly the current WebLogic GridLink capability, manages DBMS load seamlessly so the DBMS never gets bogged down with unbalanced load or even just unbalanced connection counts. How would a driver-based solution know when not to use a perfectly good connection, when it would just happen to work ten times as slowly at that moment, than another you could use?

I could go on, but I hope I've given you an inkling of the complexities that enterprise middleware has solved ahead of time. And these are all interesting (and hard) problems, but they are not the ones you will actually be paid to solve.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points