I just came across a strange problem running nVision reports with Excel 2010 and PeopleTools 8.49 on Windows Server 2008. On a process scheduler server (also used as a file server workstation) I have installed the PIA drill down add-on, configured the scheduler with registering nVision and started the process.
Now depending on DCOM settings I can only achieve ONE of these two things:
1. Excel Application identity tab in DCOM is set with a specific user to run Excel
- Report requests submited through the PeopleSoft application run to success
- launching nVision from Application Designer only invokes a blank excel sheet, nothing more.
2. DCOM identity is set as "Launching user"
- Report requests in the PeopleSoft application always hang in proessing, always timing out after the specified period. I can see a psnvs.exe and excel.exe process consumimg CPU for a bit and then hanging.
- nVision can be launched from Application Designer, launching the excel with a complete Drill menu.
This will happen dynamically, always after changing the DCOM setting, no need to restart the server or any processes.
Has anyone run across this? How can I configure the server to be able to successfully run both scenarios?