This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 11:54 AM by 917857 RSS

Oracle Linux Playground

jwmitchell Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Anyone try the kernel from the playground yet? Some of the issues I can into below:

I could no longer get cgroups mounted via the service cgconfig. Kept giving an error about not being able to parse /etc/cgconfig.conf. If I disabled the service and manually mounted the control group filesystem via mount I could get the file system mounted.

This might be a userspace issue but LXC was complaining about missing namespaces in the kernel. I tried upgrading to LXC 0.8 and even ran the lxc-checkconfig tool and it identified config_user_ns as missing. Somewhere I thought I read this namespace had been renamed but wasn't able to find that article again. Might be all in my head :)

On a positive note I did upgrade to btrfs-progs .2 and was able to use the new subvolume quotas - very nice!

I'm excited about the playground and having access to new kernel features quicker. I was almost ready to switch to Fedora as the host and run OL inside an LXC container so I'd have access to newer capabilities but I think the playground is much more ideal for my purposes. If I can just get the cgroup issue resolved I'll be a happy camper.
  • 1. Re: Oracle Linux Playground
    Dude! Guru
    Googling for the topic I found https://blogs.oracle.com/wim/entry/introducing_the_oracle_linux_playground.

I can't find a reference to it on https://blogs.oracle.com/linux or other places.

Do you check people's blogs or how did you find out about it?
  • 2. Re: Oracle Linux Playground
    jwmitchell Newbie
    RSS feed from Wim's blog:

https://blogs.oracle.com/wim/feed/entries/rss
  • 3. Re: Oracle Linux Playground
    Avi Miller Guru
    jwmitchell wrote:
    Anyone try the kernel from the playground yet? Some of the issues I can into below:
    Essentially, the playground is just us compiling the upstream master using the same config and .spec as the current UEK2 kernel. We do absolutely no testing on the playground kernels. That only happens once we merge stable trees back into our production kernels. I'm using the playground kernel for my btrfs-based testing, but that's about it right now.

We are also not going to do any support/development on the playground kernels, which is why we don't accept bugs either. These kernels are really for bleeding edge testing and they're not guaranteed to work with any of the OL6 userspace (as you've discovered).

But, I'm happy that someone outside of Oracle is playing with them too!
  • 4. Re: Oracle Linux Playground
    917857 Newbie
    Thanks for the feeback and we fixed cgroup config in the latest/later kernel builds.
  • 5. Re: Oracle Linux Playground
    Avi Miller Guru
    jwmitchell wrote:
    I could no longer get cgroups mounted via the service cgconfig. Kept giving an error about not being able to parse /etc/cgconfig.conf. If I disabled the service and manually mounted the control group filesystem via mount I could get the file system mounted.
    BTW, I'm told that this issue is fixed in our latest playground build which will hit the channel soon. I'm just prodding the channel maintainers now. :)