This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 1:47 PM by morgalr RSS

Best place/method for sharing Java Applet data

978164 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hey all,

I want to code up a boardgame that my friend has developed, and I'm thinking about using a Java applet for the user interface.

It has been quite a few years since I have programmed in Java so this will be a re-learn of java, and I have a bunch of questions.

Question 1:
Are java applets still considered 'safe' for end users, in that they can't affect the client computer with viruses or other malicious actions? I'd like the user interface to be web based and a java applet on a shared web page seems the easiest way to go.

Question 2:
The next concern is how to share and protect the game data. The use of 'free' online data storage would be nice, but is not necessarily required. I haven't looked into what is required to access things like Google Drive, and or how complicated it is.

Question3:
Whats the best way to store the game data? Serialized, encoded, text files? Database server? JDO?(not that I know anything about JDO) Some other API?
The game involves individual play per turn (for the most part) and any interactive activities could be sequential user accesses to the game state. I need to be able to store the game state and game data and have this hidden and protected from the users so they can't cheat.

The way I envision this is that I would have a shared web page holding the java applet. Once a game is set up (i.e. the game data established), a player could access this applet to see if it is their turn. If it is, the applet would load the game state and allow them to play their turn while concurrently saving their game actions to the game-data store site or database.

Thanks, your answers and suggestions are appreciated!
  • 1. Re: Best place/method for sharing Java Applet data
    morgalr Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated
    975161 wrote:
    Hey all,

I want to code up a boardgame that my friend has developed, and I'm thinking about using a Java applet for the user interface.

It has been quite a few years since I have programmed in Java so this will be a re-learn of java, and I have a bunch of questions.

Question 1:
    Are java applets still considered 'safe' for end users, in that they can't affect the client computer with viruses or other malicious actions? I'd like the user interface to be web based and a java applet on a shared web page seems the easiest way to go.
    There are no completely same ways, but applets are considered safer.
    Question 2:
    The next concern is how to share and protect the game data. The use of 'free' online data storage would be nice, but is not necessarily required. I haven't looked into what is required to access things like Google Drive, and or how complicated it is.
    You'll want to put at least 1 layer of objects between your client access and the end data, that implies that you'll need server cycles to burn.
    Question3:
    Whats the best way to store the game data? Serialized, encoded, text files? Database server? JDO?(not that I know anything about JDO) Some other API?
    The game involves individual play per turn (for the most part) and any interactive activities could be sequential user accesses to the game state. I need to be able to store the game state and game data and have this hidden and protected from the users so they can't cheat.
    You don't say how much or type of "game data" you wish to store, in almost every case, in my preference, you should use a db. this also implies you have server cycles to burn.
    The way I envision this is that I would have a shared web page holding the java applet. Once a game is set up (i.e. the game data established), a player could access this applet to see if it is their turn. If it is, the applet would load the game state and allow them to play their turn while concurrently saving their game actions to the game-data store site or database.

Thanks, your answers and suggestions are appreciated!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points