This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2012 1:09 AM by LaurenzAlbe RSS

Oracle Instant Client question?

460100 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I installed Oracle Instant Client 11.2 on a desktop with Win 7. Then I created a System DSN using MS ODBC Data Source Administrator (selected the Instant Client driver). The TNS Service Name is set to one of our databases on a separate server.

1) Instead of having the tnsnames.ora file reside on the desktop. Is it possible to configure Instant Client to use a tnsnames.ora file on a different server? I'm trying have it so that when I create the System DSN, the TNS Service Name drop down box displays all the aliases listed in the remote server's tnsnames.ora file. Is this possible?

I tried creating a new environment variable on the desktop named TNS_ADMIN. Setting the value to a mapped drive that I created. The map drive points to the directory location of the remote servers tnsnames.ora file (O:\network\admin).

Your help is appreciated.
  • 1. Re: Oracle Instant Client question?
    LaurenzAlbe Journeyer
    If you want to avoid having to customize tnsnames.ora files on every client and use a centralized approach instead,
    you should use "directory naming".
    See http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e10836/concepts.htm#sthref144

While using a tnsnames.ora file on a CIFS share is not something I would do for a production system,
    it should work. What problems do you encounter?

Yours,
    Laurenz Albe
  • 2. Re: Oracle Instant Client question?
    460100 Newbie
    While in ODBC Data Source Administrator. When I attempt to create a new System DSN using the Oracle in instantclient_11_2 driver. The test connection fails with the following error: Unaable to connect SQLState=08004 [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified.
  • 3. Re: Oracle Instant Client question?
    LaurenzAlbe Journeyer
    Are you sure that the process has the correct TNS_ADMIN in its environment?

Can you verify that you get the same error connecting with "sqlplus"?

If all fails, run an Oracle Net trace for the connection attempt. That will surely tell you what the problem is.

Yours,
    Laurenz Albe

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points