5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 3:14 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

Merge Patch

Nitin_Intg
      I need some clarification on merge patches

If you merge multiple patches and then apply those-do the individual patches get reflected in ad_applied_patches table

Please confirm

thanks
        • 1. Re: Merge Patch
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          Nitin_Intg wrote:
          I need some clarification on merge patches

If you merge multiple patches and then apply those-do the individual patches get reflected in ad_applied_patches table

Please confirm

thanks
          Yes, it will be there in AD_APPLIED_PATCHES and AD_BUGS tables.

- AD_BUGS: holds information about the various Oracle Applications bugs whose fixes have been applied (ie. patched) in the Oracle Applications installation.

- AD_APPLIED_PATCHES: holds information about the "distinct" Oracle Applications patches that have been applied. If 2 patches happen to have the same name but are different in content (eg. "merged" patches), then they are considered distinct and this table will therefore hold 2 records.

How to find Applied/Present Patches, Mini Packsand Family Packs in 11i

Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: Merge Patch
            Nitin_Intg
            Thank You !!

Let me explain why i asked this-

before raising this question-
            I had queried ad_bugs table and as expected i saw this patch there which was applied as part of the merge patch

But when i queried ad_applied_patches table it did not return any row

Also from OAM when i query for that patch it does show it as a merged patch

Not sure why it would not show in ad_applied_patches table-Only reason would be that it was applied as a merge patch

What do you think ?

thanks,
            NB
            • 3. Re: Merge Patch
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              Nitin_Intg wrote:
              Thank You !!

Let me explain why i asked this-

before raising this question-
              I had queried ad_bugs table and as expected i saw this patch there which was applied as part of the merge patch

But when i queried ad_applied_patches table it did not return any row

Also from OAM when i query for that patch it does show it as a merged patch

Not sure why it would not show in ad_applied_patches table-Only reason would be that it was applied as a merge patch

What do you think ?

thanks,
              NB
              You should always query AG_BUGS to identify if the patch is applied or not (whether individually or merged). Querying AD_APPLIED_PATCHES alone is not a good practice.

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: Merge Patch
                Nitin_Intg
                But that does not answer my question

If ad_applied_patches table inserts each individual patch then how come i don't see an entry after having applied that particular patch through a merge patch

Because if that is the case then your definition of

AD_APPLIED_PATCHES: holds information about the "distinct" Oracle Applications patches that have been applied. If 2 patches happen to have the same name but are different in content (eg. "merged" patches), then they are considered distinct and this table will therefore hold 2 records.

does not completely hold true
                • 5. Re: Merge Patch
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                  Nitin_Intg wrote:
                  But that does not answer my question

If ad_applied_patches table inserts each individual patch then how come i don't see an entry after having applied that particular patch through a merge patch

Because if that is the case then your definition of

AD_APPLIED_PATCHES: holds information about the "distinct" Oracle Applications patches that have been applied. If 2 patches happen to have the same name but are different in content (eg. "merged" patches), then they are considered distinct and this table will therefore hold 2 records.

does not completely hold true
                  This is not definition and it is Oracle eTRM definition -- http://etrm.oracle.com/pls/et1211d9/etrm_pnav.show_object?c_name=AD_APPLIED_PATCHES&c_owner=APPLSYS&c_type=TABLE

This info is available on OTN forum since the time eTRM was available for public access.

Thanks,
                  Hussein