This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 10:41 AM by RichardSmith RSS

Chosing laptop hardware for OWB developer

978225 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

is there a general rule of thumb (without knowing the exact usage requirements, such as amount of data, schema design, etc.) what hardware parameters are most beneficial to performance?

I am looking to buy a laptop for a developer which will have OWB and Oracle Enterprise DB installed on there, in order to do ETL and DWH modelling in OWB.
Since it is a developer machine, there will not be that many concurrent users / hits on the system besides what the one developer is generating.

The machine will most likely not only store the OWB metadata, but also DWH data as well, and also execute ETL transformations.

Is it possible to say what criteria will be most important for performance of the machine?

The options would obviously be:
- Disk: regular (IDE/SCSI) vs SSD
- Memory (I would probably get 8 GB)
- Processor: # of cores, # of threads, cache size, clock speed
- Bus speed of main board / chipset
- Anything else?

What should I spend money on? What will bring the biggest performance boost (or loss)?

Thanks,

Mark
  • 1. Re: Chosing laptop hardware for OWB developer
    589360 Newbie
    You have to consider one more area; screen size :) OWB is better with a big screen :)

Give him a big screen. Or at least an additional monitor.

I'm also running OWB 11gR2 and Oracle Enterprise Edition 11gR2 on a Core i5/ 8 GB laptop. Never had an issue.
    But if you have budget give him an i7.

Edited by: Sanjaya Balasuriya on Dec 6, 2012 9:10 AM
  • 2. Re: Chosing laptop hardware for OWB developer
    RichardSmith Newbie
    You are far more likely to see performance issues with network throughput between the developer client and the OWB repository database. OWB has always been a network bandwidth junkie since the 2.0-days, though it is a bit better these days. Due to the network congestion and latency between our developer clients and our repository, we ended up installing OWB clients on several citrix servers located in the same data center as the OWB repository database to reduce the latency (multiple citrix boxes were needed since OWB design client is not built for multiple simultaneous developer sessions on the same box, file locking issues, preferences overwriting, etc.).

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points