2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 10:06 AM by Levi Pereira RSS

Can RAC and RAC One Node share the same servers ?

Jimbo
      Does anyone know if it is possible for RAC and the new 11gR2 RAC One Node to share the same set of physical servers i.e. in effect having 2 clusters sharing the same set of servers ( though you could argue RAC One node is a different type of clustering or even that it is not real clustering at all - more instance transporting ).

Or does standard RAC always require exlusive use of the physical servers it is using as its nodes ?

Any thoughts appreciated
      Jim
        • 1. Re: Can RAC and RAC One Node share the same servers ?
          LaserSoft
          Hi

Good thought.

Does anyone know if it is possible for RAC and the new 11gR2 RAC One Node to share the same set of physical servers i.e. in effect having 2 clusters sharing the same set of servers ( though you could argue RAC One node is a different type of clustering or even that it is not real clustering at all - more instance transporting ).

Or does standard RAC always require exlusive use of the physical servers it is using as its nodes ?

1. If it is same physical set of servers, we need Minimum more than 4 network cards for RAC as well as RACOne Node (Physical IP - 1 & Private IP - 1 for RAC).
          2. ASM Instances as well as database Instances will need more Memory In these scenarios.
          3. For RACOne Node - Relocating Services required separate software patch (i.e Omotion)
          4. For OCR & Voting Disks should be carefully designed otherwise conflict may happen between RAC and RACOne Node
          5. We should thought of Separate Oracle Homes for - - > Oracle Software, ASM Software & Cluster Software
          6. Backup also we have to think

Thanks
          LaserSoft
          • 2. Re: Can RAC and RAC One Node share the same servers ?
            Levi Pereira
            Jimbo wrote:

Hi Jim,

To deploy RAC we need Oracle Grid Infrastructure for a cluster (aka Oracle Clusterware) on top.

What determine if it's Single /RAC /RAC one Node is the Installation of Oracle Database.

So, Oracle Clusterware support on Same Cluster ( RAC/ RAC one Node / Single).

You will need one installation for each Feature.

e.g on Same Cluster

---> Grid Infrastructure GRID_HOME=/u01/app/11.2.0/grid

--->> RAC one Node /ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/racone_11203
            --->> RAC /ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/rac_11203
            --->> SINGLE /ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_11203

For me make no sense RAC ONE NODE and RAC on same cluster.

Because RAC ONE NODE is a RAC with less feature.

Regards,
            Levi Pereira