3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2012 11:42 AM by Dan Haydon RSS

Specify another user as the Author during checkin

Dan Haydon
      Hi,

I'm trying to configure a profile that allows the user to specify an author other than themselves during a checkin without granting them admin permissions to the security group.

After looking through the the idoc reference guide I stumbled upon a function called isUserOverrideSet. The description suggests it will do exactley what I want but I can't figure out how I implement it? I tried adding <$isUserOverrideSet(true)$> to the side effect of a rule but it doesn't work.

Do I have to write a component or is there an easier way?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Specify another user as the Author during checkin
          William Phelps
          user12269459 wrote:I'm trying to configure a profile that allows the user to specify an author other than themselves during a checkin without granting them admin permissions to the security group.
          Sorry, but that's the way it works. A user must have admin privilege to the relevant security elements (security group, account, ACL, etc) in order to assign another user as the author. That's by design, and has been that way as long as I can recall. ("isUserOverrideSet" applies to the elements on the user's profile preference page, IIRC.)

You'll have to create a filter customization to elevate privileges at the time of checkin to override this behavior. The How-To components have examples of doing this customization.
          • 2. Re: Specify another user as the Author during checkin
            Bunty
            you don't have to write a component when you can implement using simple profile rules.
            - in one of the profile rules (rule must be added to the profile used by check-in page) add Author metadata field.
            - click Edit and check the "*Is Derived Field*".
            - Edit Derived Field...go to custom tab and add the following lines...
                 <$dprDerivedValue="<YourAuthor>"$>

user need not have Admin rights to do so.

Let me know if this works :)
            • 3. Re: Specify another user as the Author during checkin
              Dan Haydon
              Bunty - that works.

I will create another author field called something like xCheckInAs and then set the author derived value to the value of this field.

Perfect, thanks for your time!