2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2012 3:40 AM by veijar RSS

What is the best practice to perform DB Backup on Sun Cluster using OSB

veijar
      I have a query on OSB 10.4.

I want to configure OSB 10.4 on 2 Node Sun Cluster where the oracle database is running.

When im performing DB backup, my DB backup job should not get failed if my node1 fails. What is the best practice to achieve this?
        • 1. Re: What is the best practice to perform DB Backup on Sun Cluster using OSB
          LaserSoft
          Hi,

Each Host that participates in an OSB administrative domain must also have some pre-configured way to resolve a host name to an IP address.Use DNS, NIS etc to do this.
          Specify cluster IP in OSB, so that OSB always looks for Cluster IP only instead of physical IPs of each node.

Explanation :
          ------------------

If it is 2-Node OR 4-Node, when Cluster software installed in these nodes we have to configure Cluster IP so that when one node fails Cluster IP will automatically move to the another node.

This cluster IP we have to specify whether it is RMAN backup or Application JDBC connection. Failing to second node/another Node is the job of Cluster IP. So wherever we install cluster configuration we have to specify in all the failover places specify CLUSTER IP.

Hope it helps..

Thanks
          LaserSoft
          • 2. Re: What is the best practice to perform DB Backup on Sun Cluster using OSB
            veijar
            Hi,

Thanks for your kind reply...

If im proceediing the database backup with logicalhost IP(clluster IP), then will it affect filesystem backup on the same host...

If so, How to avoid this...

Thanks,
            Sam