4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 9:27 AM by LaserSoft RSS

ASM Configuration on Solaris

I want to configure ASM on Solaris Oracle sparc-64 bit server with Netapp storage.

I am bit confused, when to create diskgroup using asmca. Because there is no asmlib package available. I cannot start grid installation because during installation it asking for disk (which i want to use from shared storage diskgroup).

• 1. Re: ASM Configuration on Solaris
          Hi Yuvraj,

Please refer this : http://www.experts-exchange.com/Database/Oracle/A_7289-How-to-mark-disks-for-ASM-in-Solaris.html

Ronak M.
          • 2. Re: ASM Configuration on Solaris
            Victor Armbrust
            You should first prepare the disks you want to use for asm. You can do that using format command.

The best way to make your rac installation on solarisnworks fine is to use RacGuides for Solaris. You can find it on MOS

• 3. Re: ASM Configuration on Solaris
              You should read the installation REQUIREMENTS for the platform you are using. You do NOT need to follow some other document to "mark" the devices for ASM. It is not necessary. I have NEVER done this, nor have I EVER used asmlib on Linux. IT IS NOT NECESSARY!!!!!!! Read the Oracle docs.

have sys admin configure devices to be visible for all nodes (stand-alone or cluster)
              Make sure you use fdisk and use a partition that excludes the first 2 cylinders (0-1). Your partitions should start at cylinder 2. If you do not, ASM will overwrite the Solaris VTOC for the device rendering it unusable until you correctly partition the devices. The device should only have 2 partitions. Partition 1 is cylinder 0-1, and Partition 2 is cylinders 2-<last>. All ASM disks in a given DISKGROUP need to be EXACTLY the same size. You can have multiple diskgroups with different size devices, but that just makes managing your devices more complicated. A word of warning, in 11gR2, if you use a diskgroup with EXTERNAL REDUNDANCY, you will only get 1 voting file. The recommendation for a CRS diskgroup is to be made up of 3 x 2G devices for OCR/VOTING with NORMAL redundancy. This will create 3 voting files.

set correct ownership of grid:oinstall (or whatever:whatevergroup) for only partition 2 of these devices
              Next make sure the grid user and the oracle rdbms user can both READ and WRITE to these partitions (rdbms user must be a member of the oinstall/whatever group).

during the install, make sure you change the ASM_DISKSTRING to point to these devices:
              eg: /dev/whatever*p2. The installer will then mark the devices properly and create the diskgroup(s)

I don't know why so many people make this so hard. It is NOT that hard!!!!!

[Frame of reference:  I have installed > 75 10g-11gR2 clusters.]

Edited by: onedbguru on Dec 9, 2012 1:12 PM
              • 4. Re: ASM Configuration on Solaris

One thing we should know - "There is no asmlib softwares other then Linux Operating System". ASMLIB packages is only for Linux OS

1. We have to use RAW devices for Solaris Operating System.
                2. We should not place any File System on these RAW devices.
                3. These devices we have give permissions root:dba for OCR and Voting DISk and other files oracle:dba
                4. While installing ASM Software these RAW devices will shown in ASM Menu. We have to choose.

If you have Metalink Support There is a step by step by document available *"RAC and Oracle Clusterware Best Practices and Starter Kit (Solaris) [ID 811280.1]"*