This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2012 4:32 AM by user498566 RSS

Cheap shared storage for test RAC

user498566 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Is there cheap shared storage device is available to create test environment RAC. I used to create RAC with vmware but environment is not much stable.

Regards
  • 1. Re: Cheap shared storage for test RAC
    Niket Kumar Pro
    use openfiler freeware for nfs storage.it can also use vmware disks.

http://www.jobacle.nl/?p=957
  • 2. Re: Cheap shared storage for test RAC
    Victor Armbrust Oracle ACE
    Are you using 2 or more real machines? You can use VM environments then use a Shared Disk configuration to create RAC config.
  • 3. Re: Cheap shared storage for test RAC
    user498566 Newbie
    Thanks to All,

I have already created RAC with vmware on dedicated machine. I created two RAC node on vmware (RAC1, RAC2) but somehow it's not stable. Now I am planning to create RAC with two node cluster (real machines) with oracle certified shared storage device. I was looking that option if any such shared storage device is available in market which is less expensive.

Regards
  • 4. Re: Cheap shared storage for test RAC
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Two options:

The Oracle VM templates can be used to build clusters of any number of nodes using Oracle Database 11g Release 2, which includes Oracle 11g Rel. 2 Clusterware, Oracle 11g Rel. 2 Database, and Oracle Automatic Storage Management (ASM) 11g Rel. 2, patched to the latest, recommended patches.

This is supported for Production.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/vm/rac-template-11grel2-166623.html

------------------------

Learn how to set up and configure an Oracle RAC 11g Release 2 development cluster on Oracle Linux for less than US$2,700.
    The information in this guide below is not validated by Oracle, is not supported by Oracle, and should only be used at your own risk; it is for educational purposes only.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/hunter-rac11gr2-iscsi-088677.html

Regards,
    Levi Pereira

Edited by: Levi Pereira on Dec 10, 2012 10:59 AM
  • 5. Re: Cheap shared storage for test RAC
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    user498566 wrote:

Is there cheap shared storage device is available to create test environment RAC.
    Yes. Firewire 800 external drive with dual ports, allowing 2 servers to connect (via Firewire) to the same drive. LaCie drives (1TB and up) starts at $200.

Assuming your servers/PCs do not have Firewire, then 2 Firewire PCI cards are also needed - pricing is less than $40 locally.

You also need the Firewall Linux kernel driver, configured to allow shared ("non-exclusive logon") connection to the Firewire drive. This was problematic back on RHEL3, but I assume that these problems have since been sorted in the 2.6 kernel tree.

Have not seen a cheaper (real h/w) shared storage solution than this. And it should suffice for a R&D style 2 node RAC.
  • 6. Re: Cheap shared storage for test RAC
    user498566 Newbie
    Thanks to all for valuable information.

Regards

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points