6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 9:51 AM by BluShadow RSS

insert into local table as select from remote tables

a.stoyanov
      Hi all,
      In Oracle DB version 11g i have the following issue:
      I want to insert into a table in the current schema as selecting data from two remote tables. I execute the insert in portions of data. Firstly, when the target table where i want to insert is empty the Select as Insert is being executed very fast. But after every insert i made , the performance became worse than the previous one. I have no FKs or indexes in the local table/target table where i'm inserting/... I tried using /*+ append*/ hint but no success...what should be the reason of that?

Thanks in advance,
      Alexander.
        • 1. Re: insert into local table as select from remote tables
          sb92075
          a.stoyanov wrote:
          Hi all,
          I want to insert into a table in the current schema as selecting data from two remote tables. I execute the insert in portions of data. Firstly, when the target table where i want to insert is empty the Select as Insert is being executed very fast. But after every insert i made , the performance became worse than the previous one. I have no FKs or indexes in the local table/target table where i'm inserting/... I tried using /*+ append*/ hint but no success...what should be the reason of that?

Thanks in advance,
          Alexander.
          It takes time to brings rows across the network.
          • 2. Re: insert into local table as select from remote tables
            a.stoyanov
            Hi,
            Thanks for the quick response. We noticed that but is there any workarounds?

Thanks,
            Alexander.
            • 3. Re: insert into local table as select from remote tables
              a.stoyanov wrote:

We noticed that but is there any workarounds?
              Don't do this
              I execute the insert in portions of data.
              Just one insert for all data.
              • 4. Re: insert into local table as select from remote tables
                Paul  Horth
                a.stoyanov wrote:
                Hi all,

Thanks in advance,
                Alexander.
                How should we know? You don't give enough information to be able to tell. Not even the SQL involved.

Please read {message:id=9360002} and {message:id=9360003}
                and follow the advice given.
                • 5. Re: insert into local table as select from remote tables
                  sb92075
                  a.stoyanov wrote:
                  Hi,

Thanks,
                  Alexander.
                  the only "workaround" is to have the data local so it is not brought across the network;
                  but realize that to get the data local it will have to be shipped across the network.
                  • 6. Re: insert into local table as select from remote tables
                    BluShadow
                    sb92075 wrote:
                    a.stoyanov wrote:
                    Hi,

Thanks,
                    Alexander.
                    the only "workaround" is to have the data local so it is not brought across the network;
                    but realize that to get the data local it will have to be shipped across the network.
                    Unless you can pull the hard disk out and install it locally. :D