3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 1:03 PM by Matthew Morris RSS

Guidance Welcome

Hi

I am working on testing project (i.e Manual Testing- Integration Testing), I have asked in my company to give me chance to work on oracle product but its of no use
      I am OCP 10g admin. so my question is how I can move from here to DBA post, i know its not difficult

I know if you don't get exp on Oracle Certification have no value

I want to know "How I can prepare for Oracle DBA interview?"

and In next year I will be going to give the upgrade exam for 11G, but till then how to go for interview though I am new in Oracle DBA

Thanks
      T-J
        • 1. Re: Guidance Welcome
          Matthew Morris
          I am OCP 10g admin. so my question is how I can move from here to DBA post, i know its not difficult
          I'm not sure what you mean by the above. Working as an Oracle DBA can be difficult, so I assume you don't mean that. Getting a job as an Oracel DBA can be difficult, so I don't think you mean that. With that I'm out of guesses. As far as getting a job as a DBA, the subject is common enough here that I wronte an article on it:

I Just Got an Oracle Certification - How Can I Get Hired As a DBA?
          http://ezinearticles.com/7057698
          I know if you don't get exp on Oracle Certification have no value
          'No' value is a bit harsh. The information required for passing the certification test is good preparation for working as a DBA. It is true that they are not a substitute for actual experience working as a DBA.
          I want to know "How I can prepare for Oracle DBA interview?"
          The article above deals with this somewhat. The primary thing is not to take your OCP certificate as the end of learning about Oracle. There are a number of very good books on Oracle administration that are not geared towards the OCP exams. Obtaining and reading one or more will help to expand the knowledge you need for working as a DBA.
          • 2. Re: Guidance Welcome
            Hi Matthew

Thanks for the reply, yes its true working as DBA is difficult but then each and every field is difficult to try!
            I have seen so many post here that they are OCP and still searching for Oracle Job
            My question is "Where do I will get proper Interview questions and answers?" and I request you to please suggest some practical oriented book on Oracle and I am not going to end my oracle learning, I have zeal to learn the DBA right now I have only one book which has helped me to prepare for 10 G Admin (42 and 43) exams
            Should I purchase Oracle DBA handbook 10g or 11g?? or you have some other book in your mind.

Friends make fun of us who are certified but don't have experience but I ignore them but thats why I have written Without exp Certification have no value. Or best to frame it on wall and look everyday endlessly :)

Please suggest a book which can be available in the India

Thanks
            T-J

Note: Previously also you have guided me on how to get certificate and I have got my certificate bit little damaged, hoping for +ve reply

Edited by: T-J on Dec 10, 2012 8:51 AM
            • 3. Re: Guidance Welcome
              Matthew Morris
              My question is "Where do I will get proper Interview questions and answers?"
              They're all over the internet and many books have been written on the subject. I haven't written a full-up article on Oracle Interview Questions (yet), but I talk about them in a forum posting here:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/185216/0/

I have seen so many post here that they are OCP and still searching for Oracle Job...
              While I've seen postings from people looking for DBA work, considering the many millions out of work in the current economic downturn, I can't claim that the number qualifies as 'so many'. The unemployment rate among IT professionals is a fraction that of most other professions. As my article from the prior response noted, getting an employer to trust you with their enterprise database when you have never administered one before is not a simple task.

Hopefully someone else here can give you suggestions on good books. The last "DBA Essentials" book I read would be fairly dated by now. I think the last was the Oracle Press DBA Handbook for version 8. :) The Oracle Press series tends to be good as well as the O'Reilly series and I've heard good things about the APress books as well. Read over the descriptions of what is covered in the books. Look at the customer reviews -- keeping in mind that you have to take reviews with a grain of salt. Five-star or one-star reviews in particular should contain detailed explanations on why the reviewer used that rating. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

I've never tried to buy books in India, but I've seen most of the Oracle press books at least available at flipkart.