5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2012 7:18 PM by Salman Qureshi RSS

INS-32008 Oracle base vs user home

stevepence
      Hi,

Installing 11g R2 on Red Hat

(uname -a
      Linux daniel3.wycliffe.org 2.6.32-279.9.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 09:04:24 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

Under 10.2, (and 10.1 and 9.2 etc...) we made the oracle account's home directory to be /u01/app/oracle, which is also our standard Oracle Base.

But the 11.2 installer doesn't seem to like this. We get:

[INS-32008] Oracle base location cant be same as the user home home directory. Are you sure you want to continue?

This message can "apparently" be ignored and we have successfully installed several no frills 11.2 databases. But why this warning? What is the potential issue here that is troubling the installer? I really want us to be doing things as standard as possible.

Thanks for any help here.

Steve
        • 1. Re: INS-32008 Oracle base vs user home
          Salman Qureshi
          Hi,
          OFA means Oracle Flexible Architecture and this is recommended oracle directory architecture for Oracle installation and storing files. After years of eperiences of customers of Oracle, Oracle corporation comes up with new recommendations to make product better and better.
          In 11.g it is even not recommended to store oracle inventory under oracle base directory. So oracle inventory should be /u01/app/oraInventory and base directory should be /u01/app/oracle/
          When you violate OFA, you receive a warning, but, still it will allow you to install anything any where on the file system.
          Followig document may clear some of your doubts.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/em.112/e12255/oui2_manage_oracle_homes.htm

Salman
          • 2. Re: INS-32008 Oracle base vs user home
            Helios-GunesEROL
            Hi;

Please review:
            http://dbaforums.org/oracle/index.php?showtopic=19226

;)

Regard
            Helios
            • 3. Re: INS-32008 Oracle base vs user home
              stevepence
              Thanks to both of you for responding. Sadly, neither link addresses my issue specifically, i.e. regards a warning that $OB should not be in oracle user's home directory.
              Is there a link for a current OFA specification?
              Thanks,
              Steve
              • 4. Re: INS-32008 Oracle base vs user home
                sb92075
                stevepence wrote:
                Thanks to both of you for responding. Sadly, neither link addresses my issue specifically, i.e. regards a warning that $OB should not be in oracle user's home directory.
                Thanks,
                Steve
                You have to make 1 of 2 choices.
                1) Ignore the nag-o-gram message
                2) Create some new directory & use it for ORACLE_BASE

do NOT make this more complicated than it is.
                • 5. Re: INS-32008 Oracle base vs user home
                  Salman Qureshi
                  Hi,
                  http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/appendix_ofa.htm

Salman