This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2012 7:19 AM by wkobargs RSS

OCI 11g linking issue

979081 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I have an application that uses OCI for RDB data access. It works fine with 10.2 Now I am trying to compile it (in visual studio 8) with OCI version 11.
I made sure all the paths and libraries are properly included. The libraries compile but the executable is not linked.
The following error shows up.
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol OCIStmtPrepare. (the same line appears with most of the oci calls I made).

Just to cheat the compiler I copied the oci.lib from the 10.2 version and relinked the executable, the linker error is gone. The executable is created (this only proves that the paths and libraries are prperly set). But when I run it the application does not crashes with system error (as expected). Can someone please shed some light on what could be wrong and a possible solution for this probelm.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks,
Venkata.
  • 1. Re: OCI 11g linking issue
    wkobargs Journeyer
    Hello,
    OCI for RDB
    Are you working with Oracle Rdb on OpenVMS? Are you using "OCI Services for Rdb" and have your own native OCI application that connects to Rdb? If that is the case then please let me know the versions of Rdb and SQL/Services. If you don't understand where I am talking about then your formulation "OCI for RDB" was misleading.

Regards
    Wolfgang
  • 2. Re: OCI 11g linking issue
    979081 Newbie
    I am using ORACLE RDB. I am using the OCI apis for the connection and fetching the data. I have oracle client 11.2 and the database I am trying to connect to is version 10.2.

I think I used up all my knoledge to answer your question. Please let me know if I make sense.

Thanks,
    Venkata.
  • 3. Re: OCI 11g linking issue
    wkobargs Journeyer
    Hi Venkata,

it was not my intention to confuse you. I have a filter that gives me all forum entries when the word "RDB" is used. To find hidden questions about Oracle Rdb which is not Oracle RDBMS. And there was a possibility that you are really using Oracle Rdb because there exists an interface to run native OCI applications against Oracle Rdb.

Oracle Rdb is the DBMS that has been acquired by Oracle from Digital back in 1994. See here if you are interested: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/rdb/overview/index.html

So if you say "I am using ORACLE RDB ... and the database I am trying to connect to is version 10.2" then you meant that you are using Oracle RDBMS 10.2. Oracle Rdb highest version is 7.2.

Sorry to have stepped in here, but as it is clear now that your database is a 10g database, I can't contribute to your problem.

Regards
    Wolfgang

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points