This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 12:41 AM by Christian.Shay - Oracle RSS

ODAC112030_x64 - Can't see my ODP.NET Data Provider in VS2010

979227 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I installed this package on top of an existing Oracle Client Installation. I created a new Oracle Home (...client_3). When I start Visual Studio I dont see the ODP.NET Data Provider listed.

However, The Oracle NET Manager shows that my current Oracle Home is registered as '<ORACLE_HOME>...client_2'. Is this the reason VS2010 can't access the '...Client_3' ODP.NET resources? But the ...Cleint 2 has ODP.NET resources in it, which aren't being registered by VS2010! ...Client_2 is successful at connecting the the Oracle Server and was installed before VS2010 was installed.

I installed ...Client_3 directly after my VS2010 installation.i.e

1....Client_2 present and working on my Computer

How do I change the preconfigured Oracle Home to use the new client installation (_3) and not the ...client_2 Directory?

Im really confused and frustrated!

Any hints/help would be appreciated.
  • 1. Can't see my ODP.NET Data Provider in VS2010
    979227 Newbie
    Can anyone suggest why this has happened? I should have ODP.NET data provider listed in the Server Explorer Data Connection dialog. But I don't.

!!! I did all this at home, and it worked. I am at work with this installation and VS2010 hasn't registered the ODAC installation of the Visual Studio tools at all!

PLease Help.
  • 2. Re: Can't see my ODP.NET Data Provider in VS2010
    Christian.Shay - Oracle Pro
    976224 wrote:
    Can anyone suggest why this has happened? I should have ODP.NET data provider listed in the Server Explorer Data Connection dialog. But I don't.

!!! I did all this at home, and it worked. I am at work with this installation and VS2010 hasn't registered the ODAC installation of the Visual Studio tools at all!

PLease Help.
    You are trying to connect in server explorer, and so you will need to install "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio" to be able to use Oracle there. This is a 32-bit only product.

So if you installed 64 bit ODAC, that is not enough. You also need to install 32 bit ODAC with Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio to do what you are trying to do.

Keep in mind that the production versions of ODAC are not fully managed. They have unmanaged dependencies, hence 32-bit and 64 bit distinctions matter. Since Visual Studio itself is a 32-bit application, that is why you need 32-bit ODAC for Visual Studio integration.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points