5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 4:14 AM by Jim Smith RSS

SQL developer connecting problem

user13360241
      Hi,

our remote server has oracle 8 and Oracle 10G. Oracle 8 installs very long before and oracle 10G installs today.

As sql developer cannot support to 8i; when i try to connect to oracle 10G i get the following error. ORA-12505

I have oracle in my laptop and can connect via sqlplus but cannot connect with sql developer.

C:\>sqlplus sys as sysdba@10.32.12.30:1521/xxxx
      password:

SQL>

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: SQL developer connecting problem
          hi,

Since you have Oracle 8 and 10g. Check which version of listener you are running.
          • 2. Re: SQL developer connecting problem
            Jim Smith
            user13360241 wrote:
            Hi,

our remote server has oracle 8 and Oracle 10G. Oracle 8 installs very long before and oracle 10G installs today.

As sql developer cannot support to 8i; when i try to connect to oracle 10G i get the following error. ORA-12505

I have oracle in my laptop and can connect via sqlplus but cannot connect with sql developer.

C:\>sqlplus sys as sysdba@10.32.12.30:1521/xxxx
            The error implies that your sid name (xxxx) is wrong in SQL Developer. Have you specified the details in SQLDeveloper exactly as you have in your sqlplus connect string?
            • 3. Re: SQL developer connecting problem
              Gary Graham-Oracle
              Hi,

Not sure if you are running two listeners (one for 8i, one for 10g) on that server. When I had problems connecting to 10g XE and 11g running on the same server, each with its own listener, I read that disabling the 10g listener and updating the 11g listener.ora and tnsnames.ora with entries for 10g solved everything. Always use the listener for the newer Oracle release. Possibly you do not have control over the listener configurations on the server, but this is something to consider.

And here is a thread from a different forum with opinions on when single or multiple listener configurations might be preferred (and some info on how to do it):
              Re: Running 10gEE and 10gXE on the same pc

Regards,
              Gary
              SQL Developer Team
              • 4. Re: SQL developer connecting problem
                user13360241
                Thanks.

I checked listener.ora based on the information provided, the new installation Oracle 10G has port 1522 and able to connect with SiQL developer. Before i was connecting with port 1521 with sql developer.

I solved my problem but i don't understand one thing here, i tested with both ports 1521 and 1522 from sqlplus both connected successfully.

sqlplus sys as sysdba@10.32.15.20:1521/dataint
                password:
                SQL>

sqlplus sys as sysdba@10.32.15.20:1522/dataint
                password:
                SQL>

Can anybody tells the reason?

Thanks to everyone here.
                • 5. Re: SQL developer connecting problem
                  Jim Smith
                  It is difficult to say without knowing your listener setup, but it is possible that the 10g database has autoregistered as a SERVICE with the 8i listener and the service name is different from the SID. The SID is also specified in the 10g listener.ora so you can connect using SQL Developer.

Are you specifiying SID or SERVICE in your SQL Developer connection?