This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 2:39 PM by Anuj Dwivedi RSS

Shared Storage ?!

974201 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

We will have a SOA environment in a cluster with two machines in active-active configuration.

Must I have a Shared Storage for this configuration ? I undestood that it is needed when I have Active-Passive configuration but I think I migth be wrong.

Could you gurus, clarify me about shared storage ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Luiz Philip
  • 1. Re: Shared Storage ?!
    Anuj Dwivedi Guru
    Oracle recommends using redundant binary installation, instead of shared storage, for maximum availability. You may like to refer EDG -
    With Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g you can create multiple SOA servers from one single binary installation. This allows the installation of binaries in a single location on a shared storage and the reuse of this installation by the servers in different nodes. However, for maximum availability, Oracle recommends using redundant binary installations. In the Enterprise Deployment model, two MW HOMEs (each of which has a WL_HOME and an ORACLE_HOME for each product suite) are installed in a shared storage. Additional servers (when scaling out or up) of the same type can use either one of these two locations without requiring more installations. Ideally, users should use two different volumes (referred to as VOL1 and VOL2 below) for redundant binary location, thus isolating as much as possible the failures in each volume.
    Section "4.3 About Recommended Locations for the Different Directories" at -

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/core.1111/e12036/file_sys.htm#BABDIAGE

Regards,
    Anuj
  • 2. Re: Shared Storage ?!
    974201 Newbie
    Anuj, thanks for your anwser.

But with redundant binary installation, I still have the Shared Storage, the difference is that it will have two different directory volumes within it.

My point is from environment architecture pesperctive, Can't I have an Oracle SOA Suite cluster without a shared storage ? In my opnion it is not so clear at oracle documentation. Because while reading it sometimes seems: "I must have it for a cluster" and othertimes it seems optional.

Reading it again, it seems to me that: If I do not have a shared storage I will not be able to use oracle's failover and server migration at the environment . So for these weblogic's features there's no other way to accomplish it without using a shared storage ?

Getting back with redundant binary installation, having just one single binary installation to create multiple SOA servers wouldn't lead me to addtional network traffic ? When these SOA Servers are created, will they have runtime files local too? Or Will they always use the files at shared storage while running ?

Thanks Again.

Regards

Luiz Philip

Edited by: Luiz Philip on 11/12/2012 10:23

Edited by: Luiz Philip on 11/12/2012 10:33
  • 3. Re: Shared Storage ?!
    Anuj Dwivedi Guru
    Luiz,

You might have got the answers till now but in case you haven't then -
    So for these weblogic's features there's no other way to accomplish it without using a shared storage ?
    yes, shared storage is required for these features.
    Getting back with redundant binary installation, having just one single binary installation to create multiple SOA servers wouldn't lead me to addtional network traffic ? When these SOA Servers are created, will they have runtime files local too? Or Will they always use the files at shared storage while running ?
    Not really. All the servers will deploy the applications during start-up and at runtime those deployments will be used for processing. So it is one time class loading and after that loaded classes are used for processing.

You may also like to refer -

Advantages of Shared Storage in SOA Cluster
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/fusion-middleware-maa-155387.html

Regards,
    Anuj

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points