This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 11:33 PM by Mahmoud_Rabie RSS

Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3

Mahmoud_Rabie Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
Dear Experts,

I hope to upgrade a lab of 30 PC have got OEL 5.4 installed, to have OEL 6.3

What is the fastest (automated) installation method to accomplish that.

Best Regards
Mahmoud Rabie
  • 1. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    Dude! Guru
    In-place upgrades between major versions of the OS are not supported and have to be done from the installation DVD. Your mileage will vary since it does not preserve all system settings. Since no one can guess how your systems are configured, no advice can be given.

Please see chapter 37 of https://linux.oracle.com/documentation/OL6/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-6-Installation_Guide-en-US.pdf for more information.
  • 2. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    898553 Newbie
    Setup a kickstart server and start rekicking. Otherwise, you can run into some real issues.
  • 3. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    Dude! Guru
    Kickstart provides a silent and automated install, including the option to perform a post-installation. However, the success will depend on how the systems are configured and what software is currently running or needs to be supported. For instance, Oracle database versions prior to 11gR2 11.2.0.3 are not certified under Oracle Linux 6.

I suggest to evaluate the real need to upgrade from Oracle Linux 5 to 6. For what it's worth, the latest version of the Oracle UEK kernel runs on both.
  • 4. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    898553 Newbie
    Dude wrote:
    Kickstart provides a silent and automated install, including the option to perform a post-installation. However, the success will depend on how the systems are configured and what software is currently running or needs to be supported. For instance, Oracle database versions prior to 11gR2 11.2.0.3 are not certified under Oracle Linux 6.

I suggest to evaluate the real need to upgrade from Oracle Linux 5 to 6. For what it's worth, the latest version of the Oracle UEK kernel runs on both.
    I totally agree.
  • 5. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    Mahmoud_Rabie Journeyer
    Thank you for your response
    Kickstart provides a silent and automated install, including the option to perform a post-installation. However, the success will depend on how the systems are configured and what software is currently running or needs to be supported
    - The lab consists from 1 instructor pc + 29 studet pc.
    - No Oracle DB installed (I knew it is not certified with Linux 6. I hope it will be ASAP)
    - No need to preserve certain software on student PCs. However, the instructor has DHCP, Apache, and Samba (as PDC) configured

How to accomplish silent and automated install/upgrade (using either kickstart or others) on all 30 PCs?

Regards
    Mahmoud
  • 6. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    Avi Miller Guru
    Mahmoud_Rabie wrote:
    - No Oracle DB installed (I knew it is not certified with Linux 6. I hope it will be ASAP)
    Oracle DB has been certified on Oracle and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 for months now, ever since the release of 11.2.0.3.
  • 7. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    Mahmoud_Rabie Journeyer
    Thank you for information

How to accomplish silent and automated install/upgrade (using either kickstart or others) on all 30 PCs?
    Can I get benefit from Apache installed on instructor PC?

Regards
  • 8. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    Avi Miller Guru
    Mahmoud_Rabie wrote:
    How to accomplish silent and automated install (using either kickstart or others) on all 30 PCs?
    http://bit.ly/UEg1Fx
  • 9. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    Mahmoud_Rabie Journeyer
    Dear Avi

Thank you for your interest. However, I need accurate steps not general outlines. I did some googling before.
    Here we share the knowledge and I am learning from experts like you and Dude. I need your recommendations

Regards
    Mahmoud
  • 10. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    Avi Miller Guru
    Mahmoud_Rabie wrote:
    Thank you for your interest. However, I need accurate steps not general outlines. I did some googling before.
    The first link in the Google search is the documentation on exactly how to use kickstart-based installs. I'm not sure how much more accurate you want to get.
  • 11. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    Mahmoud_Rabie Journeyer
    Dear Avi,

As I said before
    - The lab consists from 1 instructor pc + 29 studet pc.
    Based on the url
    https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/sn-automating-installation.html
    I will choose kickstart source to be HTTP server as it is installed on the instructor pc
    I hae copied /root/anaconda-ks.cfg to /var/www/html and apply chmod 644 on it

Let's assume the instructor IP = 10.0.2.15, then I need to run commad (in text-based installation)
     linux ks=http://10.0.2.15/anaconda-ks.cfg 
    The problem is
    How to enter text-based installation when OEL 6.3 installation DVD inserted on a student PC?
    Because it goes directly to the graphical mode and doesn't prompt me to choose!

Best Regards
    Mahmoud
  • 12. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    Dude! Guru
    I think you just need to press the tab key at the install options window (there is a 60 second countdown) and add ks=http://<server>/path/to/kickstart to the kernel parameter line.

But why bother at all with the current upgrade strategy? Why not implementing common virtualization solutions, like free Oracle VM VirtualBox. Are your student PC's ancient or or not suitable? Why implement old fashioned system administration and deny yourself the huge benefit of virtualized systems. Virtualization like VirtualBox will give you efficient and painless features to easily manage system installations on your student systems, including the option to run multiple operating systems on a singly computer. You can easily restore your student systems to specific installation and configuration presets in seconds prior to every lab by using built-in snapshot restore technologies, as well as easily cloning and deploying your systems.
  • 13. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    Mahmoud_Rabie Journeyer
    Dear Dude,

Thank you for your kind response.
    Are your student PC's ancient or or not suitable?
    Yes

Now, I have created a folder oel63 under /var/www/html. I have configured first lines of anaconda-ks.cfg to be like this
    install
    network --bootproto dhcp
    url --url http://10.0.2.15/oel63
    after pressing tab and adding the parameter ks=http://10.0.2.15/anaconda-ks.cfg
    It enters the text-mode then showing (waiting for eth0), I think it reads anaconda-ks.cfg successfully but after that when it goes to graphical mode it does not give me upgrade option! Why?

Best Regards
    Mahmoud
  • 14. Re: Upgrade Lab with Oracle Linux 5.4 installed to Oracle Linux 6.3
    Dude! Guru
    I cannot say from here if this applies, but if you select text mode for a kickstart installation, you need to specify choices for partitioning, boot loader, etc, since the anaconda installation cannot prompt for missing information. If you do not provide choices for these options, anaconda will stop the installation process.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points