This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 1:51 PM by tbrinkmann RSS

OL6.3 X window

tbrinkmann Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
first installation of ol6.3 for oracle db. I need to install X.

Searching the forum I found
Someone can help me to setup Oracle linux 6.0

--> yum groupinstall "X Window System" "GNOME Desktop Environment"

But this command don´t fit anymore.
Does anything is missing if I use

yum install "xorg-x11-server-Xvfb" "gnome-desktop"

? Thanks

*T

Edited by: tbrinkmann on Dec 12, 2012 7:29 AM
  • 1. Re: OL6.3 X window
    Dude! Guru
    You have marked the question as answered. Does this mean the problem has been resolved?
  • 2. Re: OL6.3 X window
    tbrinkmann Explorer
    Re,
    ups sorry.. no its not.
    So I helped myself to reinstall the system but I will check this again...

There must be a recomendet way fro that issue in RHEL documentation I find somthing about anaconda
    but I do not understand if that is the program I m searching for. It looks linke anaconda is the normal system installer.

*T                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • 3. Re: OL6.3 X window
    tbrinkmann Explorer
  • 4. Re: OL6.3 X window
    Dude! Guru
    Below is from my previous answers to install a GUI under OL 6:

If you are installation using the OS installation DVD:

When you see the window to select the set of software to install, leave Basic Server selected, but choose the Customize now ratio button and press the Next button to continue. Select Desktops on the left side of the window. Select at least the X Window System, Fonts and Desktop packages. To get a similar Desktop like in previous Enterprise Linux releases, add the General Purpose Desktop and Graphical Administration Tools packages.

If you are past the initial installation and have restarted the system from your harddrive:
    su - root
    yum groupinstall "X Window System" Desktop "General Purpose Desktop" \
    "Graphical Administration Tools" "Legacy X Window System compatibility"

init 5

sed -i 's|id:3:initdefault:|id:5:initdefault:|g' /etc/inittab
    shutdown -r now
    The topic is somewhat complex. The design concept of the X Wndow system is different from MS-Windows. For instance, to run a X Window application on a remote system, you do not necessarily need to install and run X Window on your remote system. You can use VNC with a minimal X Window manager (TWM) or SSH with X forwarding and X Window server installed on your client desktop.

To start the Oracle Installer remotely and use SSH with X forwarding see:

Installing Oracle Linux 6 For 11g
    Remember that you cannot use the "su" command as it will break X Window.
  • 5. Re: OL6.3 X window
    tbrinkmann Explorer
    Hey dude,
    so whats the minimal necessary installation on the remote server system to use ssh -X connection ?
    To install the database. Only the X11 Server ?

#>yum install xorg-x11-server-Xorg ?

I also installed the --> oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall.x86_64

My problem ist that we are using local yum repos and the group installation won´t run
    Warning: Group X Window System does not exist.
    Warning: Group Desktop does not exist.
    Warning: Group General Purpose Desktop does not exist.
    Warning: Group Graphical Administration Tools does not exist.
    Warning: Group Legacy X Window System compatibility does not exist.
    No packages in any requested group available to install or update

Thanks for advice.

*T                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  • 6. Re: OL6.3 X window
    Dude! Guru
    The X Window Server manages the mouse, keyboard and display (hardware driver) and needs to run on the computer from where you want to display and operate the X client application. SSH with X forwarding requires that the X Window Server is running on the computer display in front of you (not the remote Linux server).

There should be no need to install any X Window server software on the remote server to use SSH with X forwarding. SSH -X forwarding is "cockie" based and does not use the legacy xhost, but more secure xauth authentication method. You must have xauth installed on the server and probably want a few small X client apps for testing, e.g. xClock:

<pre>
    sudo yum –y install xorg-x11-apps xauth
    </pre>
    My problem ist that we are using local yum repos and the group installation won´t run
    It should work, regardless of a local or remote repository. Did you set it up properly? Are you using the installation DVD? It is mentioned at the end of the Oracle Linux 6 release notes: https://oss.oracle.com/ol6/docs/RELEASE-NOTES-U3-en.html
  • 7. Re: OL6.3 X window
    tbrinkmann Explorer
    Yes I can use our repos without any problem. If I use yum with install.

But if I use yum group... no pakage found....

Anyway Thank you for x infos !

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points